POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Tesselating a 2D surface : Re: Tesselating a 2D surface Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:27:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tesselating a 2D surface
From: Peter Popov
Date: 18 Nov 1999 18:08:40
Message: <rYQ0OBVf7QYQALlBzAYLuRabU1h9@4ax.com>
On Thu, 18 Nov 1999 15:37:55 -0700, "Martin Magnusson"
<mar### [at] studentuuse> wrote:

>Does anyone know of a (good) algorithm to tesselate a 2D polygon?
>
>At least I think tesselation is what I'm after - what I want to do is
>distributing points evenly inside a polygon with a certain maximum distance
>to each other (that is, tesselate(d) should fill the polygon with enogh
>points so that no points are more separated by more than d distance), and
>then make a triangular mesh out of it.
>
>Any ideas?

Ideas, yes. Solution, no. That's how I usually proceed, anyway :)

Using baricentric coordinates you can place a number of points in the
polygon. Now set up a simple repulsive force among them and the edges
of the poly and either calculate a preset amount of "time" or until
the speed of all particles drops below a certain value. There *might*
be a procedural approach, and if there is, Ken will have most probably
found the link to it by the time I post this message. Oh well...

Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700