POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Megapov demo files : Re: Megapov demo files Server Time
2 Sep 2024 12:16:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Megapov demo files
From: Peter Popov
Date: 24 Jan 2000 16:38:24
Message: <r8OMOO2+fisE39xoMv=Ef0o6mDOP@4ax.com>
On Mon, 24 Jan 2000 22:11:25 +0100, sme### [at] skynetbe
(smellenbergh) wrote:

>If we get the time, we will go over all example files and do our best to
>make them usable on all platforms.

Thanks.

>To do this, please tell the limitations of unix, dos and windows. Is dos
>still limited to 8.3 and if so must we keep names so small?

DOS is still 8.3, yes, but DOS 7.0 supports long file names, I think.
I am not sure if Windows of DOS 7.0 itself does the LFN-to-8.3
conversion for "smart short names".

>Which platform does allow for spaces, what is the maximum length of a
>file name and, if applicable the length of the extention.
>Even if an extention is not realy supported on a Mac, we do try to add
>for every scene file the extention .pov, this makes things easier to
>recognise.

On Unix there are no limitations but I think the way POV interprets
the input file name causes a problem. I informed Mark about it and if
the bug is indeed in POV and he is able to fix it then you can apply
the fix in 0.4 instead of going for the filename workaround <grin>

I haven't noticed problems with filenames in Windows.

Peter Popov
pet### [at] usanet
ICQ: 15002700