POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : [patch] Suggesting trivial patch (again) : Re: [patch] Let's get real again! Server Time
6 Oct 2024 14:15:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [patch] Let's get real again!
From: ABX
Date: 14 Feb 2003 04:14:59
Message: <quap4vce59ef3ghrop0rg8ohlts7a9v7su@4ax.com>
On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 10:17:26 +0100, Thomas Willhalm
<tho### [at] uni-konstanzde> wrote:
> Thank you Edward! This is indeed the point. Thorsten, could you please
> approve, decline, or update this statement? What I understand from your
> answers in this and similar threads:
> - You don't want public read access to the source-revision tree.
> - You don't want to discuss and make design decisions in a public forum.
> - You don't think that an open development model speeds up the development.
> - You don't want to release development releases (snapshots).
> Since the statement can be found on
> http://mac.povray.org/support/status.html
> and your are listed in the POV-Team as Mac developer, this is rather
> contradictive. Either your personal opinion is in conflict with the
> majority of the POV-Team or the statemen is obsolete and should be removed
> from official public web pages.

Are you saying like:

( Thorsten in POV-Team ) => ( Thorsten opinion == POV-Team opinion )

which is simply false becouse group decisions usually not require unified
voice of all members.

IMO this disccusion follows wrong way. It seems that only argument to make
open development for POV 4.0 is that Thorsten is in contradiction to the rest
of the POV-Team. I do not see any argument like:
- look at this project - it moved to Open Source and community, stability and
quality increased
- look at my skills (except Vadim :) )
- look at this part of code - it is a bad design it can be done in C++ as ...
- look at this dead raytracing project - it has some good ideas in C++

Instead of valid arguments I see something like "You said ... and ... and ...
so you should not be a designer". I really want open developent of POV 4.0 and
I already started to increase my own skills and hardware as preparation to
this stage. But after such discussions I understand opportunities in the Team
- prespectives of having open development can be lost becouse time will be
wasted for discussions how zip is named. In open development we will have to
cooperate. As long as repository is not open please respect Team decisions and
rather concern more on arguments why open development can make POV better
(with examples) either becouse of your personal experience and becouse of
general advantages.

ABX