POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : sine/cosine and exponents with animations? : Re: sine/cosine and exponents with animations? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:18:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sine/cosine and exponents with animations?
From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 30 Apr 1999 11:36:23
Message: <qqmpv4myy3d.fsf@goldach.fmi.uni-konstanz.de>
"Lounento" <som### [at] somewherecom> writes:

> I've done some expirement animations with Povray, but have been missing a
> couple of useful features. In order to make objects to move smoothly, the
> object has to have a mathematical function that define the object's path.
> Sine/cosine and exponent functions would be of great help there. Although
> you can type "clock*clock" to make it a parabel, an exponent feature would
> be much easier to use and it would also make possible to take the square
> root (x^.5).

Read the fine manual, in particular the section "Float Functions". Here's
an excerpt:

cos(A) Cosine of A. Returns the cosine of the angle A, where A is measured
in radians.

exp(A) Exponential of A. Returns the value of e raised to the power A where e
is the base of the natural logarithm, i.e. the
non-repeating value approximately equal to 2.71828182846.

sin(A) Sine of A. Returns the sine of the angle A, where A is measured in
radians.

and many other useful functions.

Thomas

P.S.: I know that the Povray manual is huge and that one can easily overlook
a section.
P.P.S.: Please post your articles with real name.

--
http://www.fmi.uni-konstanz.de/~willhalm