POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Quick instructions how to compile POV-Ray for UNIX : Re: Quick instructions how to compile POV-Ray for UNIX Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:21:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quick instructions how to compile POV-Ray for UNIX
From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 17 Jan 2000 06:15:11
Message: <qqmogal6jb4.fsf@ramsen.fmi.uni-konstanz.de>
"J. Kim" <jjk### [at] mmewhaackr> writes:

> Dear Mark,
>  Guess what!
> I've removed the leading spaces of the 66, 69, and 72nd lines. Then issued
> ' make newunix'.
> I did not have any error messages. And I've got the following files generated
>
>   /user3/prof/jjkim/temp/povray31/source/unix >ls -tla pov*
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 jjkim    prof     1064960  1-17 17:34 povray
> -rw-r--r--   1 jjkim    prof       46760    1-17 17:34 povray.o
> -rw-r--r--   1 jjkim    prof       20126  11-22 10:08 povray.1
>
> Following lines are shown upon the screen, when I issued 'make newunix'.
> Am I close to the final? Do I simply issue 'povray' for running the program?

Yes. The executable povray should work now. The makefile can in fact create
three different versions of povray: plain ascii interface, X, and SVGA.
By selecting "newunix" you tell make that you want to create a new,
different version. If you simply type "make" instead, it shouldn't compile
anything anymore.

As I said in the beginning, "povray" should work now. In my opinion, it
is a good thing to create the X version, too. Simply try "make newxwin".
Perhaps you may have o adjust the location of the X include files and
libraries in the makefile. By calling "x-povray" with the option "-d"
you should see the image while it's rendered (under the assumption that
you have an X server running). Furthermore, you can get an "mosaic preview"
with the option "+sp4".

Thomas

--
http://thomas.willhalm.de/ (includes pgp key)