POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Dumb idea (?): Trees : Re: Dumb idea (?): Trees Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:33:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dumb idea (?): Trees
From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 12 Jan 2000 04:41:50
Message: <qqmn1qb62zl.fsf@goldach.fmi.uni-konstanz.de>
Chris Huff <chr### [at] yahoocom> writes:

> In article <387ba7f6@news.povray.org>, "Jan Walzer"
> <nos### [at] informatikuni-hallede> wrote:
>
> > hmmm ... but am I right, about the rendertime ...
> > I've thougt about the last night, and found that therefore the "steps in
> > the
> > media" (or how was it called) have to be massivly increased, to get all
> > the
> > branches of a high-detailed tree, don't they?
> > The standard for this is AFAIK 10 steps, and how can this make a good
> > tree ?
>
> I really think the best use of a density pattern to make a tree or grass
> would be in an isosurface, which is actually slightly similar to media
> in some ways. And their render speed is usually quite tolerable,
> although complex ones with a lot of very small details can be slow.

I have tried to model the fur with an isosurface and failed miserably.
I don't know why this didn't work. With media however, it turned out
quite weill. For this reason, I believe that it may be worth the effort
to try grass or needles with media.

Thomas

--
http://thomas.willhalm.de/ (includes pgp key)