POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Re: Fur 2 [173 KB] : Re: Fur 2 [173 KB] Server Time
3 Oct 2024 23:22:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fur 2 [173 KB]
From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 5 May 1999 14:50:56
Message: <qqmiua71k3k.fsf@goldach.fmi.uni-konstanz.de>
Hans-Detlev Fink <hdf### [at] pecosnospamde> writes:

> Thomas Willhalm wrote:
> >
> > Hans-Detlev Fink <hdf### [at] pecosnospamde> writes:
> >
> > > Is it much change to the plain pov code?
> >
> > I try to keep the changes small. I have redesigned my approach several
> > times. Now, the main part is in two new files named fur.h and fur.c.
> > Of course, there have to be some changes in parstxt.c and media.c. I
> > also have to change frame.h to include a pointer to the pigment and
> > the fur struct in the media struct.
>
> Sounds very interesting. Hopefully you will give us an announcement
> (and of course the code) when you feel the code is ready for the public.

No, I will keep them secret :-) (Just kidding)

However, don't expect them in near future. Up and then I will
show a picture here to demonstrate the progress.

> Have you any early idea how your approach rates in terms of render
> time as compared with traditional (object based) procedures?

I think that it's slower, but according to the papers that I read
about hypertexture the resulting images are better at distant views.
Furthermore, the memory consumption is quite low, because everything
is computed "on the fly".

Thomas

--
http://www.fmi.uni-konstanz.de/~willhalm