POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : QNX - a unix : Re: QNX - a unix Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:29:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QNX - a unix
From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 1 Oct 2000 13:54:20
Message: <qqmitrcwipf.fsf@pluto07.fmi.uni-konstanz.de>
"Jan Danielsson" <Jan### [at] falunmailteliacom> writes:

> Hello World!
>
> QNX Inc. have released a free (for non-commercial use) version of their
> operating system QNX OS. QNX is said to be a Unix, which tells me some things
> about POSIX compliance and such.
>
> 1) How well will a "simple build" (after changing name of compiler) work with
> the Unix version of povray? Does the term "Unix sources" mean that it'll
> compile in any POSIX-friendly environment?

Expect that you have to change some include and library paths. In the
worst case, you may have to generate a new makefile. POV-Ray itself is
written in ANSI C, so the command line version should compile without any
problems. If I remember correctly, QNX comes with X (apart from their own
graphics system). So this should work, too.

You might have more problems, if you try to compile MegaPov. I already
encountered code that didn't compile without changes. Since Mark Gordon
fixes all this, the situation has dramatically improved. :-) (Thanks Mark!)

> 2) Has anyone put together a "Unix" version of the MegaPov sources?

Yes, Marc Gordon has done this. His version can be downloaded from:
http://www.mailbag.com/users/mtgordon/megapov.html

Happy tracing.
Thomas

--