POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Is it possible to speed the blobs up in MegaPov? : Re: Is it possible to speed the blobs up in MegaPov? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 14:15:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is it possible to speed the blobs up in MegaPov?
From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 7 Mar 2000 10:31:32
Message: <qqmg0u2dcfh.fsf@ramsen.fmi.uni-konstanz.de>
Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> writes:

> No one is arguing that POV-Ray should tesselate every object by default.
> In fact I know I would never suggest such a thing. But there are certain
> features that could be added if POV-Ray could be set to tesselate objects.
>
> Some features that would benefit from this would be -
>
> 1. The ability to export .pov objects and scenes to other 3D file formats

As someone else already pointed out: POV-Ray is a renderer, so it's not
its task to export scenes. (To make it easier to write a parser for
modellers and converters I suggest using something like ANTLR for
POV-Ray 4.0.)

> 3. Displacement mapping - more accurate surface representations than are
>    currently possible with surface normal alone.

You think of something like
http://www.fmi.uni-konstanz.de/~willhalm/bilder/displace.jpg ?
(This file has been generated with megapov.)

> 2. Surface subdivision - currently only possible with meshes and only
>    can be done through use of memory and process intensive operations.

Here I must confess that I don't know what this is in this context.
Or are you talking about mesh refinement for finite element methods?

Thomas

--
http://thomas.willhalm.de/ (includes pgp key)