POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : ray tracing : Re: ray tracing Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:21:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ray tracing
From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 9 Jun 1998 15:41:00
Message: <qqmemwys6r7.fsf@goldach.informatik.uni-konstanz.de>
Jamis Buck <buc### [at] csbyuedu> writes:

> In general, ray-tracers spend up to 90% of their time performing
> intersection tests.  I know POV is very optimized, but I would be
> surprised if it still didn't spend most of its time doing intersections.

[...]
> Anyone know anything more specific?

I've just run a profiler (quantify) on povray with the well-known skyvase.
The output for the most time consuming functions is:
12.51% Intersect_Plane
11.98% DNoise
10.16% memcpy
 5.72% All_CSG_Intersect_Intersections
 4.97% All_Plane_Intersections
 3.70% Inside_Plane
 3.22% Noise

Time consumption in memcpy is about
30% block_light_source
18% coloring
rest intersections

I also examined povray with a scene I'm working on. It is far more complicated
than the skyvase. It uses a lot of CSGs and layered textures. In this case
the relative time consumption for calculating intersections was even higher
than in case of the skyvase.

ThW

--
Tho### [at] uni-konstanzde