POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Another post_process idea : Re: Another post_process idea Server Time
2 Sep 2024 12:14:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another post_process idea
From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 27 Apr 2000 12:35:08
Message: <qqmd7nbfqo3.fsf@schlatt.fmi.uni-konstanz.de>
Chris Huff <chr### [at] yahoocom> writes:

> In article <390835eb@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
> wrote:
>
> >   Don't tell me all this is stored into memory in order to be able to
> > apply the post processing?
[...]
> >   Summing all this up we get:
> >   786432*(3*8+3*8+2*8+8+6*8+3*8) = 113246208 bytes = 108 Megabytes.
> >
> >   Taking into account that the average computer has 128 Megabytes of
> > memory, that would eat it up pretty efficiently.
> >
> >   If all this is not stored into memory, then forget this :)
>
> Currently, only the needed data is saved. Each post_process has a set of
> flags indicating which data it needs, and only that data is
> saved/loaded. This would be harder to do with the color_function filter,
> since you would have to detect which functions and/or variables are
> used, but it should still be possible.
> Also, I don't know if this is the way it already is done, but it should
> be possible to save to a file and only read in the data as it is used.
> This would slow down some post_processes though...it would probably be
> best as an option that people could turn on for lower-memory systems.

Mmmh, I don't like the idea of saving a temporary file that has several
times the size of the final image. Perhaps you should consider to apply
the filter on the fly. I know that you need more than one pixel a time for
several of the exististing and proposed filters. Perhaps it is possible
to determine which one you need and forget the others.

Thomas

--
http://thomas.willhalm.de/ (includes pgp key)