POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Glass in glass : Re: Glass in glass Server Time
1 Jun 2024 09:22:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glass in glass
From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 10 Jun 1998 10:47:18
Message: <qqmbts1s495.fsf@goldach.informatik.uni-konstanz.de>
"Jan Danielsson" <Jan### [at] falunmailteliacom> writes:

> Hello!
>
> Yesterday I got an idea I wanted to try in povray. A glass bowl containing
> some blue liquid.
>
> I made the bowl easily:
>
> difference {
>    sphere <0, 0, 0>, 1
>    sphere <0, 0, 0>, 0.98
>   ...and a plane to cut the top off...
>   texture { T_Glass3 }
> }
>
> and then I made the 'liquid' in a similar way (one sphere with radius 0.98
> and cut the top off with a plane).
>
> However.. When looking at this 'bowl' I see the grayish color I set the bowl
> to have, but eventhough it is transparent, I cannot see the 'blue liquid
> object' through it.
>
> It I remark the 'bowl' and only render the 'liquid' object, it looks great.
>
> When I look at the object from 'above' it looks as it should.

IMO this is not the 'coincing surfaces problem' (but you should avoid them
anyway). I suppose you have to change the max_trace_level. See section 7.8.6
of the docs. The default value is five and therefore too small: four
intersections with the glass object and two more with the liquid.

I hope this helps

ThW

--
Tho### [at] uni-konstanzde