POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Major bug in MegaPOV Plus? : Re: Major bug in MegaPOV Plus? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 06:20:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Major bug in MegaPOV Plus?
From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 6 Sep 2000 13:26:06
Message: <qqmaedlbff5.fsf@ramsen.fmi.uni-konstanz.de>
"Rune" <run### [at] inamecom> writes:

> "Chris Huff" wrote:
> > Probably a memory leak,
>
> I don't know exactly what a memory leak is, but I can tell you some more
> about how MP+ behaved in my case.
>
> Well, I have this animation that doesn't use any MP+ features at all. When I
> render it in regular MP everything is fine and the peak memory used is about
> the same for every frame.
> But when I render the same animation in MP+ the peak memory used increases
> rapidly for every frame, like they are added together.

This is exactly a memory leak: Memory, that has been allocated, is not
freed when it isn't used any more. That's why the program seems to use
more and more memory during its run.

If you render only a single frame, all memory is freed (returned to the
operating system) when the program ends. By this the memory leak isn't
so apparent.

A "modern" explanation of memory leaks might go like this: Instead of
recycling memory it is thrown away. :-)

Thomas

--
http://www.thomas.willhalm.de/ (includes pgp key)