POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Re: mpeg2 encoder compile problems : Re: mpeg2 encoder compile problems Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:20:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mpeg2 encoder compile problems
From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 22 Feb 2000 10:10:15
Message: <qqm7lfx46js.fsf@schlatt.fmi.uni-konstanz.de>
Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> writes:

> Thomas Willhalm wrote:
>
> > I don't know what you call a "decent animation", but I have successfully
> > converted 1000 images with 640x480 pixels to an animation. I was able
> > to view it with Sun's ViewMeTV without any warnings or so.
> >
> > The quality of the generated is definitely better than the quality of the
> > mpeg1 file that I have created with the Berkeley mpeg_encode. However,
> > the created files seems to be larger.
>
> Well that is good news. Now if you can port it to a few different platforms
> I am sure the POV-Ray community would be forever in your debt :)

At least for Linux no porting is necessary. The creation was as easy as

mkdir mpeg2
cd mpeg2
unzip ../mpeg2v12.zip
make

After that I modified the file "PAL.par" to suit my need, i.e. I have
changed name, format and size of input images and the display size.
With "mpeg2encode myPAL.par test.m2p" I have generated my film.

That's all.

Thomas

--
http://thomas.willhalm.de/ (includes pgp key)