POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Dumb idea (?): Trees : Re: Dumb idea (?): Trees Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:33:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dumb idea (?): Trees
From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 11 Jan 2000 04:02:09
Message: <qqm3ds5x9pq.fsf@ramsen.fmi.uni-konstanz.de>
"Jan Walzer" <nos### [at] informatikuni-hallede> writes:

> Hmmm ... I read this group now a while, and I think the treeIdea is not as
> bad ...
[...]
> Can't we use it as a kind of Media ???

You're not the first one to come up with this idea. It has already be
phrased by Kajiya and Kay in "Rendering Fur with Three Dimensional
Textures", Computer Graphics, Volume 23, Number 3, July 1989.

I'm currently working more or less (read: less) on an implementation
of the fur that is presented in this paper. A short film of a furry
torus can be seen at http://www.povray.willhalm.de/tracegallery/ .

In my opinion, this approach has a lot of potential. Apart from fur,
I think that grass and forests can be renderered this way. Of course,
someone must first find an adequate lighting model for these objects.
However, you should be aware that this method will only work for
distant views.

> PS.: Sorry 'bout my bad english ... I'm from germany, you see...

dito.

Thomas

--
http://thomas.willhalm.de/ (includes pgp key)