POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : mesh2 in Moray ? (newbie) : Re: mesh2 in Moray ? (newbie) Server Time
1 Jul 2024 03:56:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mesh2 in Moray ? (newbie)
From: corncrake
Date: 15 Dec 2002 16:49:09
Message: <qlnk5yfl22ow.1krjysywrbln3$.dlg@40tude.net>
On Sun, 15 Dec 2002 12:55:09 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Actually.. Now I am a bit confused. lol What are you using these models
> with?

LOL ! Indeed :) I didn't want to confuse the issue any more than needed,
so, do you really want to know ? chuckle ! fasten your seat belt,
take a deep breath ,,,
A. N. Other has decided to make (re-make) a version of the old Acorn/BBC-B
classic "Elite" and for some reason, known only to himself at this stage,
has decided to use the .mesh2 format to store the data for the shape of
the models. The textures being stored in 256x256 .bmp
I thought that this would be a good excuse for me to learn the world of
3d modeling,,, now I am beginning to wish I had not ! groan!

Never mind, as my old Gran used to say " Malcolm, if you want a job doing,
then do it yourself !"  So, I have dusted off my DevC++ and have just
completed ConsoleStage 1 of Malcolm's OpenGL Modeling Prog. !!
He has promised his own model development environment, in the fullness of
time, but that will be after he has the main thing done. So, we'll see who
gets there first now !

> but Moray was designed
> primarily to generate scenes for it.

That was probably where I went wrong, I thought it was to make models and
shapes to go into scenes.

Phew !!!
Now then re-fasten your seat belt cos you'll need it for this next bit :

> Also.. Referring to one of your other posts:
>> "the export of the demo version may miss ervery 5th vertex/edge/face"

> This is intentional. The idea is to show you what the program can do,
> within limits, not let you use it for free. Thus the demo version will
> randomly 'eat' every fifth vertex/edge/face to make it difficult to use
> it without buying the full version.

It seemed very odd to me that, in a ng devoted to povray/moray,
a lead would be given to a commercial product and that the nature
of the cripple would not be stated 'up front' to save the wasting
of time, both in downloading and in prowling the site, to find the nature
of the beast.
Where would Povrayers be now if that same attitude had prvailed in Povray ?
If I was interested in making money I would no doubt sell my programs,
I choose to give them away, sometimes in the hope of a pint of beer in
return.
If I was in ,,
oh well never mind,
it isnt worth it ,,,

Good grief, all I wanted was to save having to reinvent a wheel if someone
was already using/manipulating mesh2s.
Sorry I asked.