POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption : Re: [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:26:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 24 Jan 2004 11:12:52
Message: <q4iae1-afd.ln1@triton.imagico.de>
Wolfgang Wieser wrote:

> Well, I really see your point but I am actually very tired of _waiting_.
> If anybody out there is waiting for the POVRay team to do just the smallest
> thing, he'd better invest in finding the fountain of youth ;)

Well i only suggested you might *save* time by waiting.

> BTW, what about including this patch into POVRay-3.6?

As Chris Cason has mentioned in the status report 3.6 does not introduce
significant new features in the core functionality.

> Basically, the patch allows you to select a rectangular region of
> an image_map so that only this part is read in and stored in RAM.
> Pixels outside this region are all considered 50% gray (some other
> solution like quick_color could also be thought of).

I don't think this would be a very useful patch - selecting and copying
a rectangle from a larger image is the task for an external program,
what would be really useful would be a patch that adaptively loads those
parts on an image into memory that are actually used - without the need
to specify a rectangle and that also unloads those parts that are no
more needed during render progress to free space for new parts.  Of
course such a feature would not only be useful for images but also for
meshes for example.  AFAIK some other raytracing programs also have such
a feature.

> It may or may not make sense to publish source code of beta versions.
> But as I am sombody who actually works with the code, has already found
> several bugs, suggested fixes for most of them and is actively writing
> patches for POVRay, it may make sense to let me join the group of people
> who may view the current development code.

This is of course no way my decision but to be frank - it does not seem
to me that you propose to be allowed source access primarily to fix
bugs, this is perfectly possible with the 3.5 code and some of your
proposals have already been included in 3.6 (and the last two probably
will be as well).

Christoph

Last updated 11 Jan. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______