POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : sphere memory : Re: sphere memory Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:25:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sphere memory
From: ABX
Date: 28 Aug 2002 05:27:15
Message: <q14pmuo05tgrplrcuq4g3smesuh0rcrpl3@4ax.com>
On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 10:44:59 +0200, "Niki Estner" <nik### [at] freenetde>
wrote:
> I got 256 mb of main memory, and I think 500,000 spheres should fit
> in there.

I'm sure it fits there and the memory consumption is caused by the complicated
texturing, media, csg, unnecessary object copying or something. Posting source
could help in investigation.

> Anyway my idea was to make something like a "sphere mesh": a thing that does
> the same as a union of spheres, but with less memory used. I think I need
> only 12*8 bytes per sphere (transformation matrix plus translation vector).
> My question is: Do you think this is a good idea? If yes, why hasn't anyone
> done it before? If not, well, why not?

Becouse it would use no less memory than spheres. You can crate one "mesh
sphere" and clone it many times as it is done internally for copied meshes
however every mesh will store pointer to original structure + transformation
while original sphere store only four floats (center + radius) for not
transformed sphere. You have to store texture and other object modifiers the
same way in both 'versions' of sphere.

> Has anybody tried anything similar?

I have tried clone object for large csgs and will try again it probably for
3.5 sources.

ABX