POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tyre macro preview + question : Re: Tyre macro preview + question Server Time
2 Oct 2024 02:18:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tyre macro preview + question
From: Peter Popov
Date: 18 Jun 2000 18:20:17
Message: <pthqks01nru793na7kicbg2b777eotn3uc@4ax.com>
On Sun, 18 Jun 2000 21:04:42 +0000, Francois Dispot
<woz### [at] club-internetfr> wrote:

>A sample from the current work, which is a megapov macro to make tyres
>(1st pic) with isosurfaces given the shape of the "sculptures" (en ?) as
>a png bitmap (2nd pic).

Ah, so you've actually made it! Look great and quite like a real
thing.

>Now I have a problem. The lateral parts of the tyres are made with
>lathes, and I would like to connect them smoothly to the deepest part of
>my isosurface, which is a 4th degree profile. I know the tangent to my
>profile, and need to keep the same on the lathe. So my question is: what
>is the slope of a cubic_spline lathe profile at one of its control
>points?

Just out of curiosity, isn't the formula in the source code of POV? If
you can't find it, can you use trace() ? Lastly, why don't you use a
bezier spline lathe? At least you won't be wondering where its
tangents are pointing.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet