POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Making clothes in Poser - Take 5b : Re: Making clothes in Poser - Take 5b Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:27:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Making clothes in Poser - Take 5b
From: Stephen
Date: 27 May 2007 11:29:50
Message: <pq7j53l87epg9g65mn71dqh2s4o490808o@4ax.com>
On Sun, 27 May 2007 16:16:06 +0200, "Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet>
wrote:

>"Stephen" <mcavoysATaolDOTcom@> schreef in bericht

>> It fits better as well.
>
>Ah! That's because Iskander moved it on his head :-)

OK, where did his name come from?

>>>Room. Look how the cloth falls much more naturally about the figure!!
>>
>> Much better
>
>Yes, this is really an interesting development. I have never been very
>enthousiastic about conforming clothes as they often appear to be too
>artificial. If this transformation remains easy for all of them, then there
>is great potential to generate more natural looking clothing.

Much more natural but I can see us spending more time in Poser than in Pov-Ray
:-(
>>>- The pantaloon: I added seams at the base of the trousers, thus
>>>correcting
>>>greatly the stretching of the map.
>>
>> Good but there is a bit of a pinch at the turn. Sorry :-)
>
>Of course! Where the seams are, a pinch automatically appears. That is to be
>expected... also in RL when using a striped tissue. It doesn't really
>matter.

I actually thought that might be the case. Hmm! Even more impressed.

>>>Note: Stephen mentioned end-caps when exporting the conforming clothes. I
>>>think this is due to problems with the Wings3D import (I experienced that
>>>also on other mesh imports).
>>
>> I thought that it was the Poser export, I'm sure I saw them in PoseRay.
>
>Interesting. Maybe we have two different issues here...

It could be. I just remembered I exported as 3DS, so I could work in Max.
Actually I generally use 3DS because you get fewer groups in the figure meshes.

>>> End-caps do not happen in Silo, nor will they
>>>happen I believe in Blender.
>>
>> Interesting, I used an old copy of Max.
>
>Well... We are not yet done with experimenting these cases then!
>

>>>Note however, that the exported object may have
>>>numerous wrong faces (invisible in fact) so do not subdivide the mesh
>>>further or you will have to correct them.
>>
>> Which export, from Poser or the modeller?
>
>Yes, good question. I mean the object exported from Poser. My experience (so
>far) after combining the different meshes into one, and merging the
>vertices, is that there remain a number of redundant faces, i.e. edges with
>more than two faces. If you need to subdivide the mesh further, you have to
>get rid of them to avoid ugly spiky artefacts.

Sorry, you're going too fast for me. What different meshes are combined into
one? I normally export the Poser objects separately and combine them in the
scene. Or do you mean the separate parts of the cloth? But that aside I've found
lots of redundant faces too.

Regards
	Stephen