POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Windows 7 Install for all users Server Time
29 Apr 2024 08:21:30 EDT (-0400)
  Windows 7 Install for all users (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Christian Froeschlin
Subject: Re: Windows 7 Install for all users
Date: 29 Jul 2010 17:32:09
Message: <4c51f359$1@news.povray.org>
Chris Cason wrote:

> It's a little more complicated than this for me currently, as Windows
> Installer lies about admin privilege by default (telling us that the user
> has admin when they don't). There is a way around this, which I use, and
> the installer (at least for the betas) will offer an 'all users' install if
> the install is started under elevation.

good so you already have a test. My main issue was that 'all users'
should be the default option when started under elevation (not sure
if it is now, didn't yet try beta 38). It's just the behavior you'd
expect when you do Run As Administrator (even worse: if a separate
admin account is used for elevation then the local option would
install into the admins user profile, inaccessible to the user).

Also, a message box might be useful when starting without
elevation to inform about what will happen in this case. It draws
more attention than text on normal installer pages where most users
will simply click next next next until installation is finished,
only to find the program ended up where they didn't expect it.

>> Both installer and povray itself should contain a manifest marking them
>> as vista/7 aware.
>
> Thanks for the tip, this might be the thing I need to change the above
> behavior.

I don't think it will help in your case, as you can't request
admin privileges in the manifest if you wish to support user installs.
However, the presence of this part of the manifest tells Vista that
the application is Vista-aware, which means the app will not be run
in compatibility mode (so virtualization will be disabled).

Post a reply to this message