POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Force save incomplete output? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 19:18:12 EDT (-0400)
  Force save incomplete output? (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Force save incomplete output?
Date: 21 Feb 2018 06:31:33
Message: <5a8d5895$1@news.povray.org>
Is there a way to force POV-Ray to save a render to disk, even though it
is incomplete?

Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Force save incomplete output?
Date: 21 Feb 2018 12:01:37
Message: <5a8da5f1$1@news.povray.org>
Am 21.02.2018 um 12:31 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> Is there a way to force POV-Ray to save a render to disk, even though it
> is incomplete?

Nope.

Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Date: 23 Feb 2018 07:00:00
Message: <web.5a90016793c5762a47873e10@news.povray.org>

> Nope.

IIRC, some older versions did... at least with Windows-specific .BMP renders
(which is how I used to run POV-Ray.) Maybe 3.6.1 or 3.6.2? I remember stopping
some time-consuming renders and taking a look at them. (But not partial PNG
renders-- they didn't open. I'm guessing that some kind of 'header' file
information was missing..) This was before the 'state' file implementation in
3.7.0(?)

Post a reply to this message

> IIRC, some older versions did... at least with Windows-specific .BMP renders
> (which is how I used to run POV-Ray.) Maybe 3.6.1 or 3.6.2? I remember stopping
> some time-consuming renders and taking a look at them. (But not partial PNG
> renders-- they didn't open. I'm guessing that some kind of 'header' file
> information was missing..) This was before the 'state' file implementation in
> 3.7.0(?)

I seem to remember that too. Earlier than v3.6.2 I'm still running that
for Bishop3D.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> IIRC, some older versions did... at least with Windows-specific .BMP renders
> (which is how I used to run POV-Ray.) Maybe 3.6.1 or 3.6.2? I remember stopping
> some time-consuming renders and taking a look at them. (But not partial PNG
> renders-- they didn't open. I'm guessing that some kind of 'header' file
> information was missing..) This was before the 'state' file implementation in
> 3.7.0(?)

BMP is uncompressed, so I'm guessing each pixel is appended
sequentially, and a partial image will display by default.

PNG images are maybe compressed *after* all the pixels have been written.

Forcing output could still be done however. But continuing a stopped
render may no longer be possible afterward.

Mike

Post a reply to this message