POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Force save incomplete output? : Re: Force save incomplete output? Server Time
20 Apr 2024 07:38:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Force save incomplete output?
From: clipka
Date: 23 Feb 2018 14:20:44
Message: <5a90698c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 23.02.2018 um 12:58 schrieb Kenneth:

>> Nope.
>
> IIRC, some older versions did... at least with Windows-specific .BMP renders
> (which is how I used to run POV-Ray.) Maybe 3.6.1 or 3.6.2? I remember stopping
> some time-consuming renders and taking a look at them. (But not partial PNG
> renders-- they didn't open. I'm guessing that some kind of 'header' file
> information was missing..) This was before the 'state' file implementation in
> 3.7.0(?)

v3.6 and earlier wrote image files "on the fly", leaving files
technically broken if render was aborted. However, depending on the file
format and reading application, such partial files could sometimes be
loaded in other applications.

At least that's what happened to my understanding. There may also have
been mechanisms in place that, when aborting a render, would just fill
the remainder of the file with black pixels to complete the image. But
in that case partial PNG files should have worked as well.