POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : POV-Ray Editors Server Time
29 Mar 2024 04:08:00 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray Editors (Message 12 to 21 of 21)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: POV-Ray Editors
Date: 27 Jul 2017 06:56:22
Message: <5979c6d6@news.povray.org>
Am 27.07.2017 um 05:19 schrieb Sven Littkowski:

> At the moment, I work with gray background, but this one and any other
> background just looks not right. Since I do software programming, I work
> since over 20 years with my own standard colors for the one or other
> thing inside a syntax. But I cannot use "my" custom colors with the
> editor at the moment. Thus I am not able to recognize things inside a
> POV-Ray syntax based on the color code. Why such a big discussion about
> such a small additional feature? It is not really difficult to add that
> feature.

Well then... if you find the feature not really difficult to add, I
recommend you implement those changes yourself, and license them to us
under the old POV-Ray v3.6 license.

Our version of the proprietary 3rd party CodeMax library has remained
virtually unchanged from POV-Ray v3.6 (except for bug fixes), so you can
use the CodeMax source code from the POV-Ray v3.6 package as a starting
point for your development.

Post a reply to this message

> Am 27.07.2017 um 05:19 schrieb Sven Littkowski:
>
>> At the moment, I work with gray background, but this one and any other
>> background just looks not right. Since I do software programming, I work

>> since over 20 years with my own standard colors for the one or other
>> thing inside a syntax. But I cannot use "my" custom colors with the
>> editor at the moment. Thus I am not able to recognize things inside a
>> POV-Ray syntax based on the color code. Why such a big discussion about
>> such a small additional feature? It is not really difficult to add that
>> feature.
>
> Well then... if you find the feature not really difficult to add, I
> recommend you implement those changes yourself, and license them to us
> under the old POV-Ray v3.6 license.
>
> Our version of the proprietary 3rd party CodeMax library has remained
> virtually unchanged from POV-Ray v3.6 (except for bug fixes), so you can
> use the CodeMax source code from the POV-Ray v3.6 package as a starting
> point for your development.

Just make it Delphi source code, and I will do this. It would be my
pleasure. And I have no problem to license it to the great POV-Ray team.

But I cannot program in other languages than Delphi (Pascal).

---
http://www.avg.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 4 Aug 2017 14:15:06
Message: <web.5984b89c8045b5dec437ac910@news.povray.org>

> You can use /any/ text editor capable of saving plain vanilla ASCII
> text. You could even use MS Word for that purpose.
>
> A text editor capable of syntax highlighting would be of advantage of
> course. But you may need to roll your own highlighting rules.

Yes, indeed.
Te one thing I would find VERY useful is some sort of editor that has
differential coloring of nested parentheses for mathematical formulae.

Debugging those can drive me a little nuts sometimes.

Does anyone have a [preferably small, lightweight, free] 3rd party editor that
would work well for this?
I suppose if I need to, I could use Excel...

Post a reply to this message

From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 21 Aug 2017 22:47:16
Message: <599b9b34$1@news.povray.org>
On 04.08.2017 14:10, Bald Eagle wrote:

>> You can use /any/ text editor capable of saving plain vanilla ASCII
>> text. You could even use MS Word for that purpose.
>>
>> A text editor capable of syntax highlighting would be of advantage of
>> course. But you may need to roll your own highlighting rules.
>

> Yes, indeed.
> Te one thing I would find VERY useful is some sort of editor that has
> differential coloring of nested parentheses for mathematical formulae.
>
> Debugging those can drive me a little nuts sometimes.
>
> Does anyone have a [preferably small, lightweight, free] 3rd party editor
 that
> would work well for this?
> I suppose if I need to, I could use Excel...

Weaverslave?

---
http://www.avg.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Mr
Date: 22 Aug 2017 04:20:00
Message: <web.599be5d78045b5de16086ed00@news.povray.org>

> > You can use /any/ text editor capable of saving plain vanilla ASCII
> > text. You could even use MS Word for that purpose.
> >
> > A text editor capable of syntax highlighting would be of advantage of
> > course. But you may need to roll your own highlighting rules.
>

> Yes, indeed.
> Te one thing I would find VERY useful is some sort of editor that has
> differential coloring of nested parentheses for mathematical formulae.
>
> Debugging those can drive me a little nuts sometimes.
>
> Does anyone have a [preferably small, lightweight, free] 3rd party editor that
> would work well for this?
> I suppose if I need to, I could use Excel...

The release candidate 2 of Blender 2.79 has our latest patch for POV syntax
highlighting in:

https://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.79/

When you put your cursor next to a {} brace sign, it highlights in red the
corresponding pair of braces. Lanuhum and I added one more color than POVwin, so
"transforming" keywords are distinguished from objects, and in the same color
group as mathematical functions.
All this looks perfect for your need. And possibly of some others users.
I added a "run" operator to render a preview of edited text only regardless of
Blender 3D scene. Also note that another add-on exists that can enable
auto-completion and I successfully tried it with POV files.

See the wiki for screen captures cluing how to use pov colored syntax in blender
(file suffixes are recognized automatically):
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Render/POV-Ray#Adding_POV_code_directly

Please note that, as of today, Lanuhum and I are Python scripters (and I a lame
one!)yet we tried to mimic existing C code and successfully dared to submit this
C patch which is not our language, but was still accepted by the main Blender
developers, I mean to say that if you really preferred such changes to happen in
Povwin and the likes, don't be scared to try !

Otherwise of course, just tell us what's wrong with it in our Blender's
implementation, and we'll try to improve it based on your feedback. Thanks!

Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 22 Aug 2017 13:00:01
Message: <web.599c61ec8045b5dec437ac910@news.povray.org>
"Mr" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> The release candidate 2 of Blender 2.79 has our latest patch for POV syntax
> highlighting in:
>
> https://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.79/
>
> When you put your cursor next to a {} brace sign, it highlights in red the
> corresponding pair of braces. Lanuhum and I added one more color than POVwin, so
> "transforming" keywords are distinguished from objects, and in the same color
> group as mathematical functions.
> All this looks perfect for your need. And possibly of some others users.
> I added a "run" operator to render a preview of edited text only regardless of
> Blender 3D scene. Also note that another add-on exists that can enable
> auto-completion and I successfully tried it with POV files.

Thanks!
This looks like something which is useful, and I'll have to see about installing
it and trying it out.

By the way:
"Pov items can be anything but for now only the equivalent of Blender materials
can be replaced with this method. In Povray, it is called texture {} don't get
confused, it really includes all the material properties."

Don't forget that POV-Ray also has an actual material{} directive...

Post a reply to this message

From: Mr
Date: 28 Aug 2017 05:35:00
Message: <web.59a3e37d8045b5de16086ed00@news.povray.org>
> "Mr" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>
> > The release candidate 2 of Blender 2.79 has our latest patch for POV syntax
> > highlighting in:
> >
> > https://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.79/
> >
> > When you put your cursor next to a {} brace sign, it highlights in red the
> > corresponding pair of braces. Lanuhum and I added one more color than POVwin, so
> > "transforming" keywords are distinguished from objects, and in the same color
> > group as mathematical functions.
> > All this looks perfect for your need. And possibly of some others users.
> > I added a "run" operator to render a preview of edited text only regardless of
> > Blender 3D scene. Also note that another add-on exists that can enable
> > auto-completion and I successfully tried it with POV files.
>

> Thanks!
> This looks like something which is useful, and I'll have to see about installing
> it and trying it out.
>
> By the way:
> "Pov items can be anything but for now only the equivalent of Blender materials
> can be replaced with this method. In Povray, it is called texture {} don't get
> confused, it really includes all the material properties."
>
> Don't forget that POV-Ray also has an actual material{} directive...

I did not forget, but since the exporter doesn't make use of it, I decided to
keep things more simple in this explanation so as to not confuse Blender users
further (the developer page linked at the top of the wiki mentions it however)
The  problem goes much deeper than just differing terminologies.

In pov, the texture syntax is non standard as Blender's user interface used to
be before the rewrite ;-)
mostly, texture influences are not channelled in parallel user workflows
except for normal_map and image_map, ior are object related while they can be
texture related in Blender. etc.

Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 5 Sep 2017 10:45:01
Message: <web.59aeb8258045b5dec437ac910@news.povray.org>
If I get a chance to do so, I might try to install this at home tonight and see
how it goes:

https://atom.io/

tool you can customize to do anything but also use productively without ever
touching a config file."

Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 5 Sep 2017 11:05:00