POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Win NT 4.0 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:26:20 EDT (-0400)
  Win NT 4.0 (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Phil Brewer
Subject: Win NT 4.0
Date: 2 Sep 1999 21:19:43
Message: <37cf222f@news.povray.org>
I have a dual pentium II system running windows NT 4.0
However, I have seen no speed improvement from the second processor.
I thought Povray was a multi-threaded application??

Post a reply to this message

> I have a dual pentium II system running windows NT 4.0
> However, I have seen no speed improvement from the second processor.
> I thought Povray was a multi-threaded application??

It is not written to take advantage of a second precessor. You can run multiple
instances of pov or take a look at one of the custom compiles like PVM Pov.
See my links for unnofficial versions.

--
Ken Tyler

See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at:

: I thought Povray was a multi-threaded application??

  What made you think that?

> : I thought Povray was a multi-threaded application??
>
>   What made you think that?

See ! I told you this was a vfaq candidate :) I would write the reply but
I just don't know enough about it to be authoritative and would likely do
a poor job of it.

Anyone else want to give it a try ?

--
Ken Tyler

See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at:

Perhaps that since it is such a great program one could only expect it to be
multithread-able. At least, that is what I would expect.

--
Anthony L. Bennett
http://welcome.to/TonyB

Non nova, sed nove.

Post a reply to this message

> Perhaps that since it is such a great program one could only expect it to be
> multithread-able. At least, that is what I would expect.
>
> --
> Anthony L. Bennett
> http://welcome.to/TonyB
>
> Non nova, sed nove.

As I understand it this is not entirely trivial to add support for and
since it is pretty much a platform specific function portability becomes
an issue.

Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in message
> Anyone else want to give it a try ?

I use two CPUs and have some experience, so I'll give it a shot if you're
interested.

--John

Post a reply to this message