POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : This beta has expired Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:18:41 EDT (-0400)
  This beta has expired (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Juha Leppälä
Subject: This beta has expired
Date: 14 Feb 1999 06:05:25
Message: <36C6ADF0.7DE496D8@kolumbus.fi>
My windows crashed some 4 days ago and i had to re-install it. I
downloaded the current 3.1 windows version
and when i try to use it, it tells me that 'This beta version of POV-Ray
for Windows has expired' and doesn't load POV.
It works well if you put the date back but this is tedious and tends to
mess up things. Also when I try to use the
newest Superpatch it gives me an error message about a wrong editor DLL
and tells me to check built-in editors in the
manual (which I can find nothing about in it). The previous version of
Superpatch works ok. I'm getting desperate since
I have to use Superpatch in my current IRTC work. I can't seem to find
figure out what to do, please help.

Post a reply to this message

> My windows crashed some 4 days ago and i had to re-install it. I
> downloaded the current 3.1 windows version
> and when i try to use it, it tells me that 'This beta version of POV-Ray
> for Windows has expired' and doesn't load POV.
> It works well if you put the date back but this is tedious and tends to
> mess up things. Also when I try to use the
> newest Superpatch it gives me an error message about a wrong editor DLL
> and tells me to check built-in editors in the
> manual (which I can find nothing about in it). The previous version of
> Superpatch works ok. I'm getting desperate since
> I have to use Superpatch in my current IRTC work. I can't seem to find
> figure out what to do, please help.

Where did you download the windows v3.1 from ? The only time expired version
they had was the beta versions that ran out in September or October. If you
got the download from the Pov-Ray home page at http://povray.org it should be
a valid non time limited version of pov v3.1b.

As far as the Superpatch I must defer any questions regarding that to it's
author Ron Parker. You might try emailing him directly for an answer to that
question or post a superpatch problem question in the povray.programming group.
Ron reads all of the posts in that group and you will find him more than happy
to answer your questions. Personaly I think if you get the correct version of
Pov running your other problem will go away. Try downloading a new copy of pov
from their home page and reinstall it. You may need to do an uninstall of the
older version just to clean up the system registry. It wouldn't hurt to try.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

>newest Superpatch it gives me an error message about a wrong editor DLL
>and tells me to check built-in editors in the
>manual (which I can find nothing about in it). The previous version of
>Superpatch works ok. I'm getting desperate since
>I have to use Superpatch in my current IRTC work. I can't seem to find
>figure out what to do, please help.

Which version was the previous Superpatch? The newer is a Win32 program
which uses the Codemax editor (like the original POVWin 3.1 does). So if you
don't have the original 3.1, you can't use the newer Superpatch either,
because the Codemax dlls are included in the official release only. So you'd
better get POVWin 3.1 from www.povray.org and install it. After that, the
newest Superpatch will propably run as well.

--
Rudy Velthuis