POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Memory Managment Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:30:21 EDT (-0400)
  Memory Managment (Message 11 to 15 of 15)
From: povray org admin team
Subject: Re: Memory Managment
Date: 13 Feb 1999 04:39:29
Message: <36c6486e.35985343@news.povray.org>
"Rudy Velthuis" <rve### [at] gmxnet> wrote:

>Yep, that says it all. Windows (whether 95, 98 or NT) is a memory hog. No
>matter what application you start, no matter how much free RAM (you think)
>you have, it's never enough. Windows seems to be swapping just for the sake
>of it, IMHO.

I agree with that. I have 384mb RAM on my development machine (more than most
people have of ram+swap combined) and NT -still- whines and bitches if it
doesn't get a swap file. It wants swap and will use it regardless of physical
memory, like it or not. I think if I put 2 gigabytes in the box, it'd -still-
swap to disk. It's just the way the OS (both Windows and NT) is designed.

Post a reply to this message

> "Rudy Velthuis" <rve### [at] gmxnet> wrote:
>
> >Yep, that says it all. Windows (whether 95, 98 or NT) is a memory hog. No
> >matter what application you start, no matter how much free RAM (you think)
> >you have, it's never enough. Windows seems to be swapping just for the sake
> >of it, IMHO.
>
> I agree with that. I have 384mb RAM on my development machine (more than most
> people have of ram+swap combined) and NT -still- whines and bitches if it
> doesn't get a swap file. It wants swap and will use it regardless of physical
> memory, like it or not. I think if I put 2 gigabytes in the box, it'd -still-
> swap to disk. It's just the way the OS (both Windows and NT) is designed.

In light of this and the other comments in this thread I guess I will
begrudgingly accept the current system for what it is. It doesn't mean
I have to like it though.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net