POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Memory Managment : Re: Memory Managment Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:19:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory Managment
From: Psychomek
Date: 13 Feb 1999 07:39:07
Message: <36C57204.9601B57B@cyberhighway.net>
Ken wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I have a couple of observations about memory managment on my system I would
> like to get your opinions about.
>
>   I have a file I rendered just now that has 100k objects and according to
> Pov's stats used a peak memory of 102 megs. I have 128 megs of ram installed
> on my system using two 64 meg 72 pin EDO ram simms in the first bank only.
> My system architecture is supposed to be able to access up to a maximum of
> 128 megs so I have it max'd out.
>
>   I also have a windows 98 managed swap file specified in the control panel.
> System resources are 97% free according to several memory reporting utilities.
> That leaves over 120 megs of unused free ram memory.
>
>   After rendering the aforementioned scene I checked the size of my HD swap file
> and it was nearly 135 megs in size. It's usual size under windows management is
> 20 megs until a program writes to it.
>
>   What I don't understand is with 128 megs of ram memory on board why would my
> swap file ever grow so large when the system memory is sufficient to cover the
> use of the programs being run ? I know the speed increase of using ram memory
> over swap file memory is significant and would prefer to run in that environment.
>
> Anybody ?
>
> --
> Ken Tyler
>
> mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Windows is a memory hog.   i can't run this Sci-fi scene with out running out of
memory (P120 w/24MB RAM and 570 MB free HD) the objects themselves are over 70 MB.
and my HD free space drops to 330 MB and everything else slows to a crawl.....  BTW
the scene aforementioned is mostly made up of UDO meshes