POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Calling lightsources Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:23:43 EDT (-0400)
  Calling lightsources (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Leviathon
Subject: Calling lightsources
Date: 20 Nov 1998 10:16:53
Message: <365587e5.0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I've got a problem that I think might be a bug but am not sure. I'm trying
to model a laserbeam. To do this I call a cylinder of the required colour
then assign a cylindrical spotlight to this cylinder.....now this works fine
in that the beam looks like a beam and radiates light like I desire.
However, I get what appears to be an artifact, in that a new cylinder seems
to appear at the origin (o,o,o) going straight up but not acting like a
light source........I've checked the .pov file and there is no cylinder
called for at that location, it only appears in the rendered image. I have
three laserbeams in the scene that I call but only one artifact appears and
it appears no matter which laserbeam(s) I call. Can anyone give me some
advice to eliminated this problem or even tell me a better way to simulate a
laserbeam

Thanks

Owain Knight

Post a reply to this message

Perhaps you could provide a piece of the offending code.
It's difficut to diagnose such problems without knowing
how the source is implemented. Sometimes it is the simplest
things that cause a problem like yours.

Ken Tyler

Leviathon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a problem that I think might be a bug but am not sure. I'm trying
> to model a laserbeam. To do this I call a cylinder of the required colour
> then assign a cylindrical spotlight to this cylinder.....now this works fine
> in that the beam looks like a beam and radiates light like I desire.
> However, I get what appears to be an artifact, in that a new cylinder seems
> to appear at the origin (o,o,o) going straight up but not acting like a
> light source........I've checked the .pov file and there is no cylinder
> called for at that location, it only appears in the rendered image. I have
> three laserbeams in the scene that I call but only one artifact appears and
> it appears no matter which laserbeam(s) I call. Can anyone give me some
> advice to eliminated this problem or even tell me a better way to simulate a
> laserbeam
>
> Thanks
>
> Owain Knight

Post a reply to this message