POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : alternate DOS shell? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:27:40 EDT (-0400)
  alternate DOS shell? (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Dan Connelly
Subject: alternate DOS shell?
Date: 26 Sep 1998 02:34:35
Message: <360C7CD7.7A56C98@flash.net>
While the W95 interface is convenient, I still
find myself wanting to run from the command line at
times.  Yet I find the default W95 DOS command line
shell to be virtually unusable.

Surely there are alternates out there.... does
anyone know of public domain DOS shells?  In UNIX,
I use bash or tcsh, which maintains a large command
buffer and much more sophisticated command editing
from the history list.  This is a lot to ask.
But in DOS, I spend way too much time retyping long
paths.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Dan
--
http://www.flash.net/~djconnel/

Post a reply to this message

>While the W95 interface is convenient, I still
>find myself wanting to run from the command line at
>times.  Yet I find the default W95 DOS command line
>shell to be virtually unusable.
>
>Surely there are alternates out there.... does
>anyone know of public domain DOS shells?  In UNIX,
>I use bash or tcsh, which maintains a large command
>buffer and much more sophisticated command editing
>from the history list.  This is a lot to ask.
>But in DOS, I spend way too much time retyping long
>paths.

Dan,
you might consider 4Dos ( http://www.jpsoft.com/ ). It is shareware,
but pretty near in functionality to un*x shells (path completition, ...)

                                                                - Marco

Post a reply to this message

>> But in DOS, I spend way too much time retyping long
paths. <<

  Dan, will loading Doskey do the job or do you require a more
sophisticated keyboard buffer? I load Doskey on bootup and it suffices
for what I do on the command line.

  If you repeat the same long command lines frequently have you tried
committing them to batch files?

- Alan

Post a reply to this message