POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : New Editor Feature Idea Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:30:47 EDT (-0400)
  New Editor Feature Idea (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: G  Berry
Subject: New Editor Feature Idea
Date: 3 Sep 1998 22:23:15
Message: <35ef3b40.13639522@news.povray.org>
First, let me say that I really like the new editor much better than
the old one. I do have a few questions. Is the list of keywords
user-extensible? It would be really nice if we could have perhaps
another category and color reserved for new user-added "keywords".

It could serve many uses,  such as being able to highlight a user's
favorite macros, or for people that use more than one version of POV,
it could be used to mark non-standard POV keywords used in POV
variants such as tm-POV and others.  Is there a fairly easy way to add
a user-defined list of words, to highlight in the user's color of
choice?

Lastly, does the CodeMax editor allow for a wider selection  of
colors? It would be extremely nice to select custom colors for the
highlighted text. The options I currently have to pick from have too
few really usable choices. It seems that most of the colors are either
a bit too bright,  dark, saturated, or the wrong hue to be easily read
against a given background color. It's impossible to find enough
different colors to highlight everything with a different color and
still maintain high legibility. It isn't a big problem if you only
want a few different colors on the screen at the same time. It does
become a big problem when one wants to have a large number of highly
legible simultaneaous colors.

Thanks,
G. Berry

To reply via personal email, remove the "X" from Xno### [at] ezwvcom

Post a reply to this message

>the old one. I do have a few questions. Is the list of keywords
>user-extensible? It would be really nice if we could have perhaps

nope. it's compiled in.

>Lastly, does the CodeMax editor allow for a wider selection  of
>colors? It would be extremely nice to select custom colors for the
>highlighted text. The options I currently have to pick from have too
>few really usable choices. It seems that most of the colors are either
>a bit too bright,  dark, saturated, or the wrong hue to be easily read
>against a given background color. It's impossible to find enough

I agree 100% - I find it very limiting too. It's built in to codemax, though,
so we can't change it short of modifying the codemax source (a possibility).

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 04 Sep 1998 12:50:50 GMT, new### [at] DESPAMpovrayorg
(povray.org admin team) wrote:

>>the old one. I do have a few questions. Is the list of keywords
>>user-extensible? It would be really nice if we could have perhaps
>
>nope. it's compiled in.

I had a feeling that was the case.

>>Lastly, does the CodeMax editor allow for a wider selection  of
>>colors? It would be extremely nice to select custom colors for the
>>highlighted text. The options I currently have to pick from have too
>>few really usable choices. It seems that most of the colors are either
>>a bit too bright,  dark, saturated, or the wrong hue to be easily read
>>against a given background color. It's impossible to find enough
>
>I agree 100% - I find it very limiting too. It's built in to codemax, though,
>so we can't change it short of modifying the codemax source (a possibility).

Of course, I certainly don't expect anyone to go to great pains for
either of my ideas, but in the event that custom colors are added to
the editor, you can be sure that at least one of your users will
appreciate the effort greatly.    :)

Of course, I'll still love the program either way.  Playing with the
POV-Beta this summer is like having Christmas come early this year.

Thanks,

Glen Berry

Vice Project Coordinator
The Internet Movie Project (IMP)
Homepage: http://www.algonet.se/~jhubert/MovieProject/index.html

To reply via personal email, remove the "X" from Xno### [at] ezwvcom