POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : New editor Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:35:10 EDT (-0400)
  New editor (Message 31 to 40 of 46)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 6 Messages >>>
From: Philippe Debar
Subject: Re: New editor
Date: 31 Aug 1998 16:10:55
Message: <35eaf53f.0@news.povray.org>
Hello... how are you today?

Ronald L. Parker wrote in message <35ea1c43.171513624@news.povray.org>...
>>  redo - ctrl+y
>I've always thought the standard for redo was shift-alt-backspace.
>>  close - ctrl+w
>This is, of course, ctrl-f4.  Just because other apps can't follow the
>published UI guidelines is no reason for POV to follow suit.

I believe these shorcuts (mine, not yours) came from the Macintosh.
This explains why you find them in Adobe's products (or simile). I think
Microsoft adopted them when they ported office to the Macintosh. This
is not a reason to start a jihad: many applications support these two
sets of shorcuts in parallel. E.g. pov's undo is alt+backspace and
ctrl+z.

>>  print - ctrl+p
>People print POV source?

Yes I do. Sometimes it is usefull. (Printing isn't implemented in
beta6 - but the menu command is there already.)

>>* a better and clearer structure for the help
>I hadn't noticed that big a difference between the new (beta 5) help
>structure and the old (3.01) help structure.  Did it change again in
>beta 6? (I haven't looked and don't have beta 6 at home yet.)

I am not sure the pov-ray scene language help did change from
beta5 to beta6. The specific povwin help did.

>>(2) The editor behaviour (...)
>I find "normal" behaviour annoying (...)
Well, each to his own. That's what is so good with toggle.

>(...) I want to
>cursor down to the next line and change the radius there as well.
>Nope, doesn't work.  Cursoring through the blank line moves the cursor
>to the 'home' position and *^&#%@ leaves it there when I cursor to the
>next line.
I agree. But there are some 'standard' text editor that solve this (I can't
name
one from memory though) so it is _possible_. Anyway, the main reason why
the 'click anywhere' feature is bugging me is that I set my 15" screen to
1024*768 at least (I like to see as much code as possible and to have
big images with some room around for working).

Tracingly,

Philippe

Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Date: 31 Aug 1998 16:33:29
Message: <35eafa89.0@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 31 Aug 1998 21:10:31 +0200, Philippe Debar
        <phi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>Hello... how are you today?

Fine, thanks, and you?

>I agree. But there are some 'standard' text editor that solve this (I can't
>name
>one from memory though) so it is _possible_. Anyway, the main reason why
>the 'click anywhere' feature is bugging me is that I set my 15" screen to
>1024*768 at least (I like to see as much code as possible and to have
>big images with some room around for working).

I run 1152x864 on a 17" screen, so I know what you mean.  But I've been using
Visual Studio for so long, I've gotten used to being able to click where I
want to go without having to wear out my spacebar.  BTW, in case you hadn't
noticed, pressing the 'end' key moves you to the end of the line.  If there
is spurious whitespace at the end of the line, pressing 'end' cycles you from
the real end of the line, to the last non-whitespace character, and back
again. If you're sitting after the last non-whitespace character (where
pressing end either once or twice puts you) and press shift-end, you can
delete all of the spurious whitespace with at most 4 keystrokes.

Post a reply to this message

From: Philippe Debar
Date: 31 Aug 1998 16:41:07
Message: <35eafc53.0@news.povray.org>
Hi

povray.org admin team wrote in message <35eaee8a.846657@news.povray.org>...
>>Yes, that's why I concluded with 'can't we really change
>>*all* shorcuts, please, mister Pov; pleeaasse'

>it's very difficult to do that.

Well, fair enough.

How can we manifest our appreciation of your work? I always feel like
the suggestions I post are hurting everybody and that my thanks can't
repair this.

Tracingly,

Philippe

Post a reply to this message

From: Philippe Debar
Date: 31 Aug 1998 18:14:13
Message: <35eb1225.0@news.povray.org>
Ron Parker wrote in message <35eafa89.0@news.povray.org>...
>>Hello... how are you today?
>Fine, thanks, and you?
>(...)

>BTW, in case you hadn't
>noticed, pressing the 'end' key moves you to the end of the line.  If there
>is spurious whitespace at the end of the line, pressing 'end' cycles you
from
>the real end of the line, to the last non-whitespace character, and back
>again. If you're sitting after the last non-whitespace character (where
>pressing end either once or twice puts you) and press shift-end, you can
>delete all of the spurious whitespace with at most 4 keystrokes.

Wow - thanks!

I'm fine also ;-)

Bye!

Philippe

Post a reply to this message

From: David Young
Subject: Re: New editor - MaxiMinimise
Date: 31 Aug 1998 20:26:44
Message: <35EB30F7.EFDC2257@cln.etc.bc.ca>
One thing that I have missed is the MaxiMinimise
Button.  Is it still around or have you gotten rid of it.
I did use it quite often.

                David Young

Post a reply to this message

From: povray org admin team
Date: 31 Aug 1998 23:17:26
Message: <35eb5934.93688056@news.povray.org>
The 'click anywhere' feature of the editor is internal to the editor control
and is not able to be changed by us.

Post a reply to this message

From: Philippe Debar
Date: 1 Sep 1998 16:13:23
Message: <35ec4753.0@news.povray.org>
Dear admin team member,

you wrote in message <35eb5934.93688056@news.povray.org>...
>The 'click anywhere' feature of the editor is internal to the editor
control
>and is not able to be changed by us.

I want to thank you for all the answers you provide. The more so when I
do so much dumb suggestions. I knew this feature would be at best quite a
lot of work and didn't even expect an answer. In such cases I expect the
normal and tacit answer to be 'no'.

That's very agreable to get an answer. But it make me almost afraid to post
my
wildest dreams... Next time you'll see such a crazy request from me, don't
answer;
but use the time of the answer to get a cup of coffee (or tea, or a slice of
pizza,
or whatever...) instead. That will make me much happier.

Thanks to the whole team,

Povingly,

Philippe

Post a reply to this message

From: Philippe Debar
Date: 2 Sep 1998 12:18:47
Message: <35ed61d7.0@news.povray.org>
Ooops, sorry

>The 'click anywhere' feature of the editor is internal to the editor
>control and is not able to be changed by us.

I forgot I specifically asked for an answer on this one...

Post a reply to this message

From: povray org admin team
Date: 3 Sep 1998 21:19:00
Message: <35f031e9.215343587@news.povray.org>
"Philippe Debar" <phi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>Ooops, sorry
>
>>The 'click anywhere' feature of the editor is internal to the editor
>>control and is not able to be changed by us.
>
>I forgot I specifically asked for an answer on this one...

After some discussion with the author of the edit control we've worked out a
way to add this. It'll be in the next beta (or the release if there's no next
beta).

Post a reply to this message

From: Philippe Debar
Date: 4 Sep 1998 10:14:02
Message: <35efe79a.0@news.povray.org>
povray.org admin team wrote in message
<35f031e9.215343587@news.povray.org>...
>"Philippe Debar" <phi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>
>>Ooops, sorry
>>
>>>The 'click anywhere' feature of the editor is internal to the
editor
>>>control and is not able to be changed by us.
>>
>>I forgot I specifically asked for an answer on this one...
>
>After some discussion with the author of the edit control we've
worked out a
>way to add this. It'll be in the next beta (or the release if there's
no next
>beta).

WOOOW THANKS THANKS THANKS

I do not know what to say...

Well a mighty thank to the author, and to the people who discussed.

Yee-haw

Philippe

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 6 Messages >>>