POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : 3.1b4 non-raytracing question Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:26:02 EDT (-0400)
  3.1b4 non-raytracing question (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Photon
Subject: 3.1b4 non-raytracing question
Date: 22 Jul 1998 13:35:26
Message: <35B614C9.CEDD9B4A@dtmf.com>
I've been using Povray since the 2.x days, and I just grabbed 3.1b4
(first new release I've touched since 3.0[12])....   I have two
questions about this 3.1 release:

1.  There is no unix beta... does this imply there will be no unix
version period?  Or was it just that you didn't want to put out the
source code until after the beta cycle is complete? (which doesn't make
sense to me....)  Unix versions need to be beta tested too...

2.  I noticed the Windows version indicates that it is compiled with
Watcom "Pentium II Optimized".  Since all Pentium II's have MMX
instructions... does this mean it will make use of them when running ona
P2 (or P-MMX)?

I agree with other further back in this list that OpenGL and similar
"3D" technologies don't help POV (although they do help modelling
software).  However, despite all the media hype over the Multimedia
benefits of MMX, MMX probably helps povray better than almost any
application.  MMX instructions are SIMD math instrucions, allowing fast
multiple operand mathematical operations (add, sub, div, mul, and
logic).  Povray could probably see some big speedups by using MMX
instructions deep down in the renderer in a few places for math
calculations.

Going back to the "no unix version?" question.... will the 3.1 source
for the Windows version be released?  (and again.. why not in beta...
makes testing much easier when you can see the source)... I'd already
know about the MMX question.. or be able to attempt it myself... if the
source were around..

Brandon

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 22 Jul 1998 11:35:21 -0500, Photon <pho### [at] dtmfcom> wrote:
[...]
> However, despite all the media hype over the Multimedia
>benefits of MMX, MMX probably helps povray better than almost any
>application.  MMX instructions are SIMD math instrucions, allowing fast
>multiple operand mathematical operations (add, sub, div, mul, and
>logic).  Povray could probably see some big speedups by using MMX
>instructions deep down in the renderer in a few places for math
>calculations.

Unfortunately, MMX and FPU operations, at least on Pentiums, both use the
same registers for different things, and swapping back and forth is costly.
But it doesn't matter much: almost all of the important math in POV is
floating-point, and MMX doesn't help with that.

>Going back to the "no unix version?" question.... will the 3.1 source
>for the Windows version be released?  (and again.. why not in beta...
>makes testing much easier when you can see the source)... I'd already
>know about the MMX question.. or be able to attempt it myself... if the
>source were around..

The POV-Team told us during the 3.0 beta that they don't release source
during beta because betas are time-limited, and they don't want people
working around the time limitation, because they don't want to support
beta versions past the beta period.  Whatever their reasons, it is their
source code and they can do what they want with it.  I'm just happy that
they release it at all.

That said, Chris Young said on cgrr sometime last week that there is no
Linux build because their Linux guy had to leave the team, but they will
have that situation remedied soon.  (They already have a list of candidates,
so there's no point in trying to volunteer.)  For the actual message, go to
Dejanews and use the advanced search to find postings to cgrr from
Chris Young.

(cgrr is comp.graphics.rendering.raytracing, for those unfamiliar with it.)

Post a reply to this message