POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : 3.1b4 non-raytracing question : Re: 3.1b4 non-raytracing question Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:17:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.1b4 non-raytracing question
From: Photon
Date: 22 Jul 1998 20:11:46
Message: <35B671AE.C3775EDA@dtmf.com>
Yes, it would have to be done in asm, and yes, it is integer math only..
I'm aware.  I was assuming that not everything pov did was float.  I
guess I'm wrong there.  I didn't think about the FPU/MMX state switching
stuff... I guess that deals it the final death-blow....

What about approximateable calculations?  For instance... could you use
approximated integers for bounding box calculations (always rounding
"outwards")... by pushing those to integer... they could be
MMX-ifiyed... but then again.. there's that FPU state saving cost... oh
well...

So much for that :)

And I guess I just didn't read the fine print about source release (I
never read fine print :)

Thanks for your answers,

Brandon