POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Ms Dev V4 compile.... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:22:43 EDT (-0400)
  Ms Dev V4 compile.... (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Sébastien Brousse
Subject: Ms Dev V4 compile....
Date: 2 Dec 1997 11:57:16
Message: <34843DEA.F5335EA0@REMOVE_THIS_TAG.filnet.fr>
Hi, all

I'm new to this newsgroup.
I have a little question for anyone kind enough to reply, ;-)

I compiled  the latest web source files for PVengine for Windows.
Everything goes fine, i get Pvengine to run, and render.
(Win95-pentium166-32ram)

Now the funny part :
With the 'Release' version, everything goes fine, BUT, :-o
the font of the filenames in the editor tabs
(including the first tab : the 'Messages' one) get really screwed up !!!

Like one single "chinese" character in the top-left corner of each tab.
hugh..... :-(

I saw a line about that in 'pvtext.c'

// bug in Watcom 10.6 causes this to make the tabbed control's font go
screwy. I don't know why.
(refering to  a  '? : :'  macro that had to be replaced by a classic
'if' statement.)

Seems the same thing happens to me !
Maybe there is more than this macro/if that can cause this little
bug....
The strange thing is that it doesn't occur with the debug version !! the
tabs are correct.
so i guess it's my compilers option, tried everything with no succes,
always this same difference between the 'Debug' and 'Release'
versions...

Has anyone ever heard of that ??
Any suggestions, help, info, or whatever would be really cool !
Thanks in advance.

REMOVE THE TAG IF REPLYING DIRECT TO ME

 __   __  __
(__  |_   |__)
 __) |__ |__)
UIN:4881170

Post a reply to this message

I compiled under MSVC 4 with no trouble, but I think that was under debug
mode.  Never tried release mode.  I did it from the command line though with
nmake instead of as a project.

Ken

<34843DEA.F5335EA0@REMOVE_THIS_TAG.filnet.fr>...
>Hi, all
>
>I'm new to this newsgroup.
>I have a little question for anyone kind enough to reply, ;-)
>
>I compiled  the latest web source files for PVengine for Windows.
>Everything goes fine, i get Pvengine to run, and render.
>(Win95-pentium166-32ram)
>
>Now the funny part :
>With the 'Release' version, everything goes fine, BUT, :-o
>the font of the filenames in the editor tabs
>(including the first tab : the 'Messages' one) get really screwed up !!!
>
>Like one single "chinese" character in the top-left corner of each tab.
>hugh..... :-(
>
>I saw a line about that in 'pvtext.c'
>
>// bug in Watcom 10.6 causes this to make the tabbed control's font go
>screwy. I don't know why.
>(refering to  a  '? : :'  macro that had to be replaced by a classic
>'if' statement.)
>
>Seems the same thing happens to me !
>Maybe there is more than this macro/if that can cause this little
>bug....
>The strange thing is that it doesn't occur with the debug version !! the
>tabs are correct.
>so i guess it's my compilers option, tried everything with no succes,
>always this same difference between the 'Debug' and 'Release'
>versions...
>
>Has anyone ever heard of that ??
>Any suggestions, help, info, or whatever would be really cool !
>Thanks in advance.
>
>REMOVE THE TAG IF REPLYING DIRECT TO ME
>
> __   __  __
>(__  |_   |__)
> __) |__ |__)
>UIN:4881170

Post a reply to this message

Well, I compiled under MS VC++ 5, and I get the same error..
It appears that the tabs have been widened.. The font is stretched VERY
wide....
Again.. the rest has compiled correctly...
Although, I DID use the release settings...

Ken Cecka wrote in message <348467ca.0@news.povray.org>...
>I compiled under MSVC 4 with no trouble, but I think that was under debug
>mode.  Never tried release mode.  I did it from the command line though
with
>nmake instead of as a project.
>
>Ken
>

><34843DEA.F5335EA0@REMOVE_THIS_TAG.filnet.fr>...
>>Hi, all
>>
>>I'm new to this newsgroup.
>>I have a little question for anyone kind enough to reply, ;-)
>>
>>I compiled  the latest web source files for PVengine for Windows.
>>Everything goes fine, i get Pvengine to run, and render.
>>(Win95-pentium166-32ram)

Post a reply to this message

>Well, I compiled under MS VC++ 5, and I get the same error..
>It appears that the tabs have been widened.. The font is stretched VERY
>wide....
>Again.. the rest has compiled correctly...
>Although, I DID use the release settings...

 OOPS. I meant to say i used the DEBUG settings.

Post a reply to this message

From: Twyst
Date: 9 Dec 1997 05:50:29
Message: <348d23d5.0@news.povray.org>

<34843DEA.F5335EA0@REMOVE_THIS_TAG.filnet.fr>...
>Hi, all
>
>I'm new to this newsgroup.
>I have a little question for anyone kind enough to reply, ;-)
>
>I compiled  the latest web source files for PVengine for Windows.
>Everything goes fine, i get Pvengine to run, and render.
>(Win95-pentium166-32ram)
>
>Now the funny part :
>With the 'Release' version, everything goes fine, BUT, :-o
>the font of the filenames in the editor tabs
>(including the first tab : the 'Messages' one) get really screwed up !!!
>
>Like one single "chinese" character in the top-left corner of each tab.
>hugh..... :-(
>
>I saw a line about that in 'pvtext.c'
>
>// bug in Watcom 10.6 causes this to make the tabbed control's font go
>screwy. I don't know why.
>(refering to  a  '? : :'  macro that had to be replaced by a classic
>'if' statement.)
>
>Seems the same thing happens to me !
>Maybe there is more than this macro/if that can cause this little
>bug....
>The strange thing is that it doesn't occur with the debug version !! the
>tabs are correct.
>so i guess it's my compilers option, tried everything with no succes,
>always this same difference between the 'Debug' and 'Release'
>versions...

Well, I figured out the problem.. It seems there was a line missing from
pvtext.c:
the corrected code should read:

lf.lfHeight = -MulDiv (8, GetDeviceCaps (hDC, LOGPIXELSY), 72) ;
 lf.lfWidth = 4;                          //<---added this....
ReleaseDC (hwnd, hDC) ;

heh.. and to think,, I have NO clue what I'm doing! I'm in the process of
learning VC++!

Twyst================================
EFnet and NewNet #povray Channel Operator
Website: http://twyst.home.ml.org
E-Mail: twy### [at] v-wavecom
=====================================

Post a reply to this message

From: Twyst
Date: 10 Dec 1997 14:09:23
Message: <348eea35.0@news.povray.org>

<34843DEA.F5335EA0@REMOVE_THIS_TAG.filnet.fr>...
>Hi, all
>
>I'm new to this newsgroup.
>I have a little question for anyone kind enough to reply, ;-)
>
>I compiled  the latest web source files for PVengine for Windows.
>Everything goes fine, i get Pvengine to run, and render.
>(Win95-pentium166-32ram)
>
>Now the funny part :
>With the 'Release' version, everything goes fine, BUT, :-o
>the font of the filenames in the editor tabs
>(including the first tab : the 'Messages' one) get really screwed up !!!
>
>Like one single "chinese" character in the top-left corner of each tab.
>hugh..... :-(
>
>I saw a line about that in 'pvtext.c'

Well, I seem to be unable to compile the Release version..
I'm using MSVC++5...
Has anyone got any ideas for solving this?

From: Lorcan Hamill
Date: 10 Jan 1998 17:48:51
Message: <34B7FAD3.BE71A10B@indigo.ie>
Twyst wrote:
> Well, I seem to be unable to compile the Release version..
> I'm using MSVC++5...
> Has anyone got any ideas for solving this?

Don't know if you're still having trouble with this, but this worked
for me: add comdlg32.lib to the list of libraries to be linked.

To do this, select Project/Settings, choose "All Configurations"
from the pull-down list and add "comdlg32.lib" to the text box
labelled "Object/library modules:".

Hope this helps someone....