POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Yet ANOTHER silently missing dev library Server Time
28 Mar 2024 17:07:41 EDT (-0400)
  Yet ANOTHER silently missing dev library (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: Yet ANOTHER silently missing dev library
Date: 8 Oct 2021 20:37:16
Message: <6160e43c$1@news.povray.org>
Is there a comprehensive list of development libraries required to
compile POV-Ray 3.7+ in its *entirety?*

I've already had to recompile all of my 3.7+ executables /several/
times, in one case because POV-Ray compiled to completion even though a
prereq dev library was among those yanked away by a distro upgrade.  And
now, after ONCE AGAIN pulling my hair out for way too long trying to
figure out another informative "Problem with option setting / Failed to
parse command-line option" message, I discover that POV-Ray compiled
cleanly with no EXR capability.

My first idea was to check the messages for the list of libraries used,
but it only lists the libraries that are on the system.  I've now
installed the ILM dev library, but I don't want to waste /another/ few
days re-compiling POV-Ray versions, only to find that it silently
skipped another missing library, meaning I would have to waste anothe
few days compiling /again./  Is there a list of *everything* required
for a *complete* compile?

Or at least reconfigure POV-Ray so that it doesn't compile with half its
capabilities  missing?

These are the libraries listed by a POV-Ray run.  I notice that SDL
isn't on this list.  (Thanks, Bill, for pointing out a requirement that
I would *never* have been able to find out.)  Are there any others
besides ILM that are missing?
  ZLib 1.2.11
  LibPNG 1.6.34
  LibJPEG 80
  LibTIFF 4.0.9
  Boost 1.66

Speaking of which, why did I have to recompile anything in the first
place?  I didn't have to recompile 3.5 or 3.6 or MegaPOV.  But POV-Ray
3.7, 3.8-beta, the master branch, and UberPOV all choked on incompatible
library versions, for more than one upgrade.  Is there some way to build
POV-Ray for Unix/Linux so that I don't have to recompile the damn things
every time I do an OS upgrade?  This is not a workable system!

Post a reply to this message

> Is there a comprehensive list of development libraries required to
> compile POV-Ray 3.7+ in its *entirety?*
>
> I've already had to recompile all of my 3.7+ executables /several/
> times, in one case because POV-Ray compiled to completion even though a
> prereq dev library was among those yanked away by a distro upgrade.  And
> now, after ONCE AGAIN pulling my hair out for way too long trying to
> figure out another informative "Problem with option setting / Failed to
> parse command-line option" message, I discover that POV-Ray compiled
> cleanly with no EXR capability.
>
> My first idea was to check the messages for the list of libraries used,
> but it only lists the libraries that are on the system.  I've now
> installed the ILM dev library, but I don't want to waste /another/ few
> days re-compiling POV-Ray versions, only to find that it silently
> skipped another missing library, meaning I would have to waste anothe
> few days compiling /again./  Is there a list of *everything* required
> for a *complete* compile?
>
> Or at least reconfigure POV-Ray so that it doesn't compile with half its
> capabilities  missing?
>
> These are the libraries listed by a POV-Ray run.  I notice that SDL
> isn't on this list.  (Thanks, Bill, for pointing out a requirement that
> I would *never* have been able to find out.)  Are there any others
> besides ILM that are missing?
>   ZLib 1.2.11
>   LibPNG 1.6.34
>   LibJPEG 80
>   LibTIFF 4.0.9
>   Boost 1.66
>
> Speaking of which, why did I have to recompile anything in the first
> place?  I didn't have to recompile 3.5 or 3.6 or MegaPOV.  But POV-Ray
> 3.7, 3.8-beta, the master branch, and UberPOV all choked on incompatible
> library versions, for more than one upgrade.  Is there some way to build
> POV-Ray for Unix/Linux so that I don't have to recompile the damn things
> every time I do an OS upgrade?  This is not a workable system!

I have the same conundrum. I tinker with my Ubuntu-based distro constantly so
recompiling povray is second nature now. This is my install loadout on Lubuntu:

sudo apt install libboost-thread-dev libjpeg-dev libpng-dev libtiff-dev
libsdl1.2-dev openexr

The libboost-thread-dev pulls in zlib automatically so no need to include it.
The other change I make is ./configure --prefix=/home/jeff/.local to put
everything in my personal directory. No need to swap permissions to hack on any
part of it then.

For "compile once, run somewhere else", if you feel handy you could do an
AppImage,
Flatpak or snap package. Getting any of them set up is a bit of a PITA but once
you're set up, your there.

Cheers.

Post a reply to this message

On 21-10-08 9:20 PM (-4), The Traveler wrote:
> Cousin Ricky <ric### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>>
>> These are the libraries listed by a POV-Ray run.  I notice that SDL
>> isn't on this list.  (Thanks, Bill, for pointing out a requirement that
>> I would *never* have been able to find out.)  Are there any others
>> besides ILM that are missing?
>>   ZLib 1.2.11
>>   LibPNG 1.6.34
>>   LibJPEG 80
>>   LibTIFF 4.0.9
>>   Boost 1.66
>>
>> Speaking of which, why did I have to recompile anything in the first
>> place?  I didn't have to recompile 3.5 or 3.6 or MegaPOV.  But POV-Ray
>> 3.7, 3.8-beta, the master branch, and UberPOV all choked on incompatible
>> library versions, for more than one upgrade.  Is there some way to build
>> POV-Ray for Unix/Linux so that I don't have to recompile the damn things
>> every time I do an OS upgrade?  This is not a workable system!
>
> I have the same conundrum. I tinker with my Ubuntu-based distro constantly so
> recompiling povray is second nature now. This is my install loadout on Lubuntu:
>
> sudo apt install libboost-thread-dev libjpeg-dev libpng-dev libtiff-dev
> libsdl1.2-dev openexr

So it looks like OpenEXR was the last library that I didn't have.  N.B.
I also had to install openexr-devel to get EXR to work in POV-Ray.

> The libboost-thread-dev pulls in zlib automatically so no need to include it.
> The other change I make is ./configure --prefix=/home/jeff/.local to put
> everything in my personal directory. No need to swap permissions to hack on any
> part of it then.

I'll remember this if I ever decide to install POV-Ray on my phone.

> For "compile once, run somewhere else", if you feel handy you could do an
> AppImage,
> Flatpak or snap package. Getting any of them set up is a bit of a PITA but once
> you're set up, your there.

Great.  After Git making my life easier, all I need is another PITA; but
if one of these works, then it really will make my life easier.  Thanks!

Post a reply to this message

"The Traveler" <jho### [at] northrimnet> wrote:
> Cousin Ricky <ric### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> > ... in one case because POV-Ray compiled to completion even though a
> > prereq dev library was among those yanked away by a distro upgrade.
> > Speaking of which, why did I have to recompile anything in the first
> > place?  I didn't have to recompile 3.5 or 3.6 or MegaPOV.  But POV-Ray
> > 3.7, 3.8-beta, the master branch, and UberPOV all choked on incompatible
> > library versions, for more than one upgrade.  Is there some way to build
> > POV-Ray for Unix/Linux so that I don't have to recompile the damn things
> > every time I do an OS upgrade?  This is not a workable system!
>
> I have the same conundrum. I tinker with my Ubuntu-based distro constantly so
> recompiling povray is second nature now. This is my install loadout on Lubuntu:

could either (or both) of you using the "wrong" command sequence when
updating/upgrading?  not familiar enough with 'apt' but the package manager
definitely should be able to add a new library without removing an existing; for
instance, I have libpng libraries for three versions on the same machine -- that
is what .so version numbers are for.

> > So it looks like OpenEXR was the last library that I didn't have.  N.B.
> > I also had to install openexr-devel to get EXR to work in POV-Ray.

"sane" operating environments do not split packages into -dev, -doc, whatever.
;-)

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message