POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Yet ANOTHER silently missing dev library : Re: Yet ANOTHER silently missing dev library Server Time
18 Apr 2024 05:40:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet ANOTHER silently missing dev library
From: jr
Date: 10 Oct 2021 04:30:00
Message: <web.6162a37049d2ae425bd1b3ba6cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"The Traveler" <jho### [at] northrimnet> wrote:
> Nah. I've been a linux user (hacker) since Slackware back in '95 (I built my
> first company, an Internet Service Provider, on it in that same year). I just
> break stuff. I do a lot of kernel and driver hacking and generally end up at
> some point with a borked system. I also like to investigate the pre-release
> stuff in non-LTS distro releases and chase down bugs.

nice.  self prefers stability, and (dependable) up-time[*], hence still a
Slackware user, for all my sins ;-).  I will compile my kernels and a sub-set of
libraries and applications to suit, but no .. experiments.

[*] one 14.2 system passed 1K days up-time recently.  :-)

>> ""sane" operating environments do not split packages into -dev, -doc, whatever."
> Heh, they do in my book. Why would one need all the development code and the
> docs for it if all they were doing is end-user stuff? That's why Windows was
> created ... ;)

exactly.  different worlds.  personally, switched to a Chromebook for my "always
up-to-date online experience", quite happy with that.

regards, jr.