POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : includes Server Time
25 Apr 2024 15:11:23 EDT (-0400)
  includes (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: eeeeaaii
Subject: includes
Date: 28 Feb 2012 18:10:00
Message: <web.4f4d5dc4611438cffda0e8490@news.povray.org>
I downloaded the unix version and compiled on my Mac as described here:

http://news.povray.org/povray.macintosh/thread/%3Cweb.4e4865211f72b142975cc8f30@news.povray.org%3E/

This appears to be fine except all my renders are black, and I don't have any of
these problems:

http://wiki.povray.org/content/HowTo:Fix_unexpected_image_output

except... maybe the problem is a broken include file?   Apparently the 3.6.1
distribution has include files from 3.5 in them, and they are broken and don't
work.  For example stones.inc and stones2.inc give me an error.

What's going on?

Post a reply to this message

> I downloaded the unix version and compiled on my Mac as described here:

http://news.povray.org/povray.macintosh/thread/%3Cweb.4e4865211f72b142975cc8f30@news.povray.org%3E/

> This appears to be fine except all my renders are black, and I don't have any of
> these problems:
>
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/HowTo:Fix_unexpected_image_output
>
> except... maybe the problem is a broken include file?   Apparently the 3.6.1
> distribution has include files from 3.5 in them, and they are broken and don't
> work.  For example stones.inc and stones2.inc give me an error.
>
> What's going on?

In case you don't believe me, here's the scene I'm trying to render:

//#include "colors.inc"
  background { color rgb<.1,.3,.3> }
  camera {
   location <0, 0, 0>
   angle 90
   look_at <0, 0, 1>
  }
  sphere {
    <0, 0, 6>, 2
    texture {
      pigment { color rgb<.1, .1, .2> }
    }
  }
  light_source { <0, 0, 0>, rgb<1.0, 1.0, 1.0>}

there should be absolutely no problems.  camera is correct, looking in positive
z direction.  sphere at z=6, 2 units radius, I should be able to see it.  it's
sort of darkish but it should show up against the background.

light source is at the origin, and it's white light.

The render I get is just the background color -- nothing else renders.

Here is the output:

Redirecting Options
  All Streams to console..........On
  Debug Stream to console.........On
  Fatal Stream to console.........On
  Render Stream to console........On
  Statistics Stream to console....On
  Warning Stream to console.......On
Parsing Options
  Input file: wedges.pov (compatible to version 3.61)
  Remove bounds........On
  Split unions.........Off
  Library paths:
    /usr/local/share/povray-3.6
    /usr/local/share/povray-3.6/ini
    /usr/local/share/povray-3.6/include
Output Options
  Image resolution 320 by 240 (rows 1 to 240, columns 1 to 320).
  Output file: /Users/jscherer/Dropbox/rgasharedfiles/art/wedges/wedges.png, 24
 bpp PNG
  Graphic display......On  (gamma: 2.2)
  Mosaic preview.......Off
  CPU usage histogram..Off
  Continued trace......Off
Tracing Options
  Quality:  9
  Bounding boxes.......On   Bounding threshold: 3
  Light Buffer.........On
  Vista Buffer.........On   Draw Vista Buffer....Off
  Antialiasing.........Off
  Clock value:    0.000  (Animation off)

  0:00:00 Parsing
  0:00:00 Creating bounding slabs 0K tokens
Scene Statistics
  Finite objects:            1
  Infinite objects:          0
  Light sources:             1
  Total:                     2

  0:00:00 Displaying
Using 24 bit TrueColor visual
Using default window background
Mapping background image

  0:00:00 Rendering line 1 of 240
  0:00:00 Done Tracing
Render Statistics
Image Resolution 320 x 240
Pixels:            76800   Samples:           76800   Smpls/Pxl: 1.00
Rays:              76800   Saved:                 0   Max Level: 1/5
Ray->Shape Intersection          Tests       Succeeded  Percentage
Sphere                           76800               0      0.00
Calls to Noise:                   0   Calls to DNoise:              10
Smallest Alloc:                   9 bytes
Largest  Alloc:              307208 bytes
Peak memory used:            445762 bytes
Total Scene Processing Times
  Parse Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
  Photon Time:   0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
  Render Time:   0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
  Total Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)

Post a reply to this message

> [...]
>
>    0:00:00 Rendering line 1 of 240
>    0:00:00 Done Tracing
> Render Statistics
> Image Resolution 320 x 240
> Pixels:            76800   Samples:           76800   Smpls/Pxl: 1.00
> Rays:              76800   Saved:                 0   Max Level: 1/5
> Ray->Shape Intersection          Tests       Succeeded  Percentage
> Sphere                           76800               0      0.00
> Calls to Noise:                   0   Calls to DNoise:              10
> Smallest Alloc:                   9 bytes
> Largest  Alloc:              307208 bytes
> Peak memory used:            445762 bytes
> Total Scene Processing Times
>    Parse Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
>    Photon Time:   0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
>    Render Time:   0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
>    Total Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)

Well I don't think it's because of the include files, as most of us are
using v3.7 release candidate versions now with those very same include
files. In 3.7 the #version directive in those includes handle them
properly. I'm running a rather lengthy render now and I'm not inclined
to stop it to test your scene, but my 1st guess is the dark-ish colors
that you are using ... gives little contrast between the background and
your test object. Try moving the light source to the left or right just
a tad, so you can cast a shadow someplace other than just behind the
test object. Also explore the finish attributes, diffuse, specular ....
etc. Casual glance at your scene source indeed looks fine. Play around a
bit with the issues I've mentioned and see if it makes a diff .... shout
if you need help. Also post an image in the appropriate news group to
give us a look at what's going on. This is a pretty good group and most
of us like lending a hand.

Post a reply to this message

From: B  Gimeno
Date: 29 Feb 2012 19:45:00
Message: <web.4f4ec57373004f7251f818f50@news.povray.org>

> What's going on?

Your camera is inside the sphere.

B. Gimeno

Post a reply to this message

From: StephenS
Date: 29 Feb 2012 20:25:00
Message: <web.4f4ecfae73004f72922d24d50@news.povray.org>
"B. Gimeno" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> > What's going on?
>
> Your camera is inside the sphere.
>
> B. Gimeno

I don't think so; but the "Ray->Shape Intersection test" shows no hits on the
sphere.

Stephen S

Post a reply to this message

From: James Holsenback
Date: 1 Mar 2012 01:14:31
Message: <4f4f13c7$1@news.povray.org>
On 02/29/2012 07:40 PM, B. Gimeno wrote:

>> What's going on?
>
> Your camera is inside the sphere.
>
> B. Gimeno

hey it's late (coffee has long worn off) but I don't thinks so ... the
cam and light at same place but not sphere. like he said sphere @ z=6
radius 2 = 4 units diff

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 1 Mar 2012 11:14:24
Message: <4f4fa060$1@news.povray.org>
Am 29.02.2012 00:21, schrieb eeeeaaii:

> In case you don't believe me, here's the scene I'm trying to render:

If this is indeed the scene you're rendering...

> Here is the output:

... and this is the output corresponding to that very scene, then your
POV-Ray /binary/ must be broken, for whatever strange reason. Are you
/sure/ you're not accidently calling POV-Ray on some other file?

Post a reply to this message

From: jhu
Date: 2 Mar 2012 10:35:00
Message: <web.4f50e86e73004f72d19b0ec40@news.povray.org>
Works fine for me. Rendered using:

1) Povray 3.7RC3 on an Atom N270 running Ubuntu 11.

2) Povray 3.7RC4 on a Phenom II x6 running FreeBSD 8.2.

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 2 Mar 2012 20:46:36
Message: <4f5177fc@news.povray.org>
Am 02.03.2012 16:34, schrieb jhu:
> Works fine for me. Rendered using:
>
> 1) Povray 3.7RC3 on an Atom N270 running Ubuntu 11.
>
> 2) Povray 3.7RC4 on a Phenom II x6 running FreeBSD 8.2.

 From what I understand, OP is trying to get 3.6.1 to run properly, not
3.7RC. On a Mac.