POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : includes : Re: includes Server Time
5 May 2024 01:43:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: includes
From: James Holsenback
Date: 29 Feb 2012 18:50:18
Message: <4f4eb9ba$1@news.povray.org>

http://news.povray.org/povray.macintosh/thread/%3Cweb.4e4865211f72b142975cc8f30@news.povray.org%3E/

> [...]
>    light_source {<0, 0, 0>, rgb<1.0, 1.0, 1.0>}
>

> there should be absolutely no problems.  camera is correct, looking in positive
> z direction.  sphere at z=6, 2 units radius, I should be able to see it.  it's
> sort of darkish but it should show up against the background.
>
> light source is at the origin, and it's white light.
>
> The render I get is just the background color -- nothing else renders.
>
> Here is the output:
>

> Redirecting Options
>    All Streams to console..........On
>    Debug Stream to console.........On
>    Fatal Stream to console.........On
>    Render Stream to console........On
>    Statistics Stream to console....On
>    Warning Stream to console.......On
> Parsing Options
>    Input file: wedges.pov (compatible to version 3.61)
>    Remove bounds........On
>    Split unions.........Off
>    Library paths:
>      /usr/local/share/povray-3.6
>      /usr/local/share/povray-3.6/ini
>      /usr/local/share/povray-3.6/include
> Output Options
>    Image resolution 320 by 240 (rows 1 to 240, columns 1 to 320).
>    Output file: /Users/jscherer/Dropbox/rgasharedfiles/art/wedges/wedges.png, 24
>   bpp PNG
>    Graphic display......On  (gamma: 2.2)
>    Mosaic preview.......Off
>    CPU usage histogram..Off
>    Continued trace......Off
> Tracing Options
>    Quality:  9
>    Bounding boxes.......On   Bounding threshold: 3
>    Light Buffer.........On
>    Vista Buffer.........On   Draw Vista Buffer....Off
>    Antialiasing.........Off
>    Clock value:    0.000  (Animation off)
>
>    0:00:00 Parsing
>    0:00:00 Creating bounding slabs 0K tokens
> Scene Statistics
>    Finite objects:            1
>    Infinite objects:          0
>    Light sources:             1
>    Total:                     2
>
>    0:00:00 Displaying
> Using 24 bit TrueColor visual
> Using default window background
> Mapping background image
>
>    0:00:00 Rendering line 1 of 240
>    0:00:00 Done Tracing
> Render Statistics
> Image Resolution 320 x 240
> Pixels:            76800   Samples:           76800   Smpls/Pxl: 1.00
> Rays:              76800   Saved:                 0   Max Level: 1/5
> Ray->Shape Intersection          Tests       Succeeded  Percentage
> Sphere                           76800               0      0.00
> Calls to Noise:                   0   Calls to DNoise:              10
> Smallest Alloc:                   9 bytes
> Largest  Alloc:              307208 bytes
> Peak memory used:            445762 bytes
> Total Scene Processing Times
>    Parse Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
>    Photon Time:   0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
>    Render Time:   0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
>    Total Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)

Well I don't think it's because of the include files, as most of us are
using v3.7 release candidate versions now with those very same include
files. In 3.7 the #version directive in those includes handle them
properly. I'm running a rather lengthy render now and I'm not inclined
to stop it to test your scene, but my 1st guess is the dark-ish colors
that you are using ... gives little contrast between the background and
your test object. Try moving the light source to the left or right just
a tad, so you can cast a shadow someplace other than just behind the
test object. Also explore the finish attributes, diffuse, specular ....
etc. Casual glance at your scene source indeed looks fine. Play around a
bit with the issues I've mentioned and see if it makes a diff .... shout
if you need help. Also post an image in the appropriate news group to
give us a look at what's going on. This is a pretty good group and most
of us like lending a hand.