POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : No display Server Time
26 Jun 2024 04:11:36 EDT (-0400)
  No display (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: gregjohn
Subject: Re: No display
Date: 7 Apr 2006 12:55:00
Message: <web.4436991617e2f8e540d56c170@news.povray.org>
"nomail" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> To download the official version of POV-Ray, go to www.povray.org .

Not for linux newbies.

I can vouch that povray (from the ubuntu multiverse repository) works fine
on one kubuntu 5.10 box.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 8 Apr 2006 02:33:22
Message: <44375931@news.povray.org>
mil01 spake:

> Thank you very much for all your informations. I will try them.
>
> Stephan : so offcial binaries better than self compiled ( even with 64
> bits ?)
> But Ubuntu only provides povray 3.5...

In my experience. I've tried to compile 3.6 myself quite a few times, but
never could get it to display. Don't know if you'll find official 64 bit
binaries of 3.6, take a look at the Pov site. Plus, I've always ended up
with binaries a bit larger than the official ones, and it seems a bit
slower (probably due to my optimisation settings not being up to scratch),
so yeah, I think using the official ones is the best. (At least for me).
But then, I run the 32 bit ones, no idea what you're going to have to do
for the 64 bit ones.

--
Stefan Viljoen
Software Support Technician / Programmer

Post a reply to this message

>> Thank you very much for all your informations. I will try them.
>>
>> Stephan : so offcial binaries better than self compiled ( even with 64
>> bits ?)
>> But Ubuntu only provides povray 3.5...
>
> In my experience. I've tried to compile 3.6 myself quite a few times, but
> never could get it to display. Don't know if you'll find official 64 bit
> binaries of 3.6, take a look at the Pov site. Plus, I've always ended up
> with binaries a bit larger than the official ones, and it seems a bit
> slower (probably due to my optimisation settings not being up to scratch),
> so yeah, I think using the official ones is the best. (At least for me).
> But then, I run the 32 bit ones, no idea what you're going to have to do
> for the 64 bit ones.

Not very much. Considering that you have the right libs and such installed,
all you do is ./configure, make, make install and you're all set.
I run 64bit smp-Suse on top of an Athlon dual core and it works like a
charme. Beside speed the one major advantage is the memory limit. That has
vanished into the grey distance :)
--
Ger