POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Oldest version of gcc possible for build? Server Time
26 Jun 2024 02:37:56 EDT (-0400)
  Oldest version of gcc possible for build? (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Jules
Subject: Oldest version of gcc possible for build?
Date: 8 Feb 2005 08:00:01
Message: <web.4208b6a312c25234ec12ceb00@news.povray.org>
Does anyone happen to know the oldest version of GCC that'll still build
povray?

I'd like to build on a few ancient machines for demo purposes at a museum,
but current GCC source has been stripped of support for various old CPUs.
About the most recent version of GCC that I can compile is probably around
2.7, which I suspect is way too old :-(

Failing that, was there a time when povray was straight C code rather than
C++? It's not like I can render scenes that take advantage of lots of new
features on slow old equipment anyway, so an older version of povray would
be fine - but if they all need C++ then I suspect I'm out of luck :-(

cheers

Jules

Post a reply to this message

> Failing that, was there a time when povray was straight C code rather than
> C++? It's not like I can render scenes that take advantage of lots of new
> features on slow old equipment anyway, so an older version of povray would
> be fine - but if they all need C++ then I suspect I'm out of luck :-(

POV-Ray 3.1 is plain C.  You find it in the old-versions dir on ftp.povray.org .

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> Does anyone happen to know the oldest version of GCC that'll still build
> povray?

Try ftp://ftp.povray.org/pub/povray/Old-Versions/

ABX

Post a reply to this message