POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : povray 3.6.1 and Mac OS-X Server Time
1 Jul 2024 00:00:37 EDT (-0400)
  povray 3.6.1 and Mac OS-X (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Nicolas Calimet
Subject: Re: povray 3.6.1 and Mac OS-X
Date: 8 Dec 2004 11:48:18
Message: <41b73052$1@news.povray.org>
> Finally, I just did a quick search online and discovered that beginning with
> OSX 10.2 (we are now in version 10.3) /usr/local/bin is "no longer part of
> the default environment variables".

	Is it explained anywhere why such a decision was made?  (In case
it is claimed that it's for "security" reasons, I'd actually expect more
trouble than safety).

> ps, since I mentioned it, can I impose on you to suggest any UNIX resources
> that deal with installing software on multiple machines across a network?

	Sorry I'm not a sysadmin used to install things on many machines
at once.  However, as you will have to log as root on each of them, I'm not
sure it's actually useful to have a script trying to automate this.
	I suppose what is done usually (in the context of a network made of
similar machines) is to have a fileserver that owns all the softwares in a
single location, for instance in the /usr/local directory.  Then this
directory is shared over network via e.g. NFS mounts; i.e. each client
machine mounts the /usr/local directory of the fileserver.  To avoid
slowing down the network, the filesever should be a machine which has
good hardware ressources, which is not likely to be your case.

	Therefore, you may have the only possibility to install POV-Ray
on each machine seperatly.  If all of your machines are running the same
OS version and are accessible from a single one via e.g. SSH, you don't
have to recompile POV-Ray on each machine.  Instead, you can compile and
install it once, then replicate this install on the other machines.

	For instance:

1) compile and install POV-Ray on one machine under the /usr/local
directory you've just created.
2) since /usr/local does contain nothing but POV-Ray files, pack this
directory in a (compressed) tar file called install.tar.gz :

cd /
tar cvf install.tar /usr/local
gzip --best install.tar   (which gives install.tar.gz)

3) copy and unpack this archive on all the other machines

scp install.tar.gz root@the_other_machine:/
ssh -l root the_other_machine
cd /
tar xvzf install.tar.gz

4) adapt the PATH where necessary.

	Note that you may find this procedure actually more time-consuming
than just running configure and compiling the program on each machine (which
of course can be done in parallel, so the compilation time doesn't scale as
the number of machines).

	Again, I don't know whether things can be done in a more automatic
manner, so these are just my not-so-efficient suggestions.

	- NC

Post a reply to this message