POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : povray-3.50c Redhat 9 RPMs Server Time
22 Jun 2024 15:49:03 EDT (-0400)
  povray-3.50c Redhat 9 RPMs (Message 1 to 5 of 5)  
From: Owen Jacobson
Subject: povray-3.50c Redhat 9 RPMs
Date: 4 Dec 2003 06:57:29
Message: <pan.2003.12.04.11.57.29.569776@lionsanctuary.net>
I've created a src.rpm and an i386.rpm for Povray 3.50c that works under
Redhat 9 (with X; if there's some demand I'll make a -nox version too). 
However, due to liscensing concerns (concern: it's 4 am, I'm not reading
the bloody liscence right now!) I'm not keen on posting the povray team's
IP publicly.

(a) Would posting links to the two RPMs be permissible?
(b) Is there some way I can submit the files to the povray team so they
can distribute them themselves?

Cheers,
Owen


Post a reply to this message

From: Christoph Hormann
Subject: Re: povray-3.50c Redhat 9 RPMs
Date: 4 Dec 2003 12:16:24
Message: <1l64a1-b1s.ln1@triton.imagico.de>
Owen Jacobson wrote:
> I've created a src.rpm and an i386.rpm for Povray 3.50c that works under
> Redhat 9 (with X; if there's some demand I'll make a -nox version too). 
> However, due to liscensing concerns (concern: it's 4 am, I'm not reading
> the bloody liscence right now!) I'm not keen on posting the povray team's
> IP publicly.
> 
> (a) Would posting links to the two RPMs be permissible?

This would not be different from any other unofficial version, you are 
free to do so but have to make sure it qualifies as a full package 
(including docs and sample scenes) and clearly indicate the unofficial 
nature.

> (b) Is there some way I can submit the files to the povray team so they
> can distribute them themselves?

You can be sure the POV-Team recognizes when you post a link but you 
should note that there will not be support for an unofficial version by 
the Team.  I also think most current linux distributions already include 
POV-Ray 3.5.

Christoph

-- 
POV-Ray tutorials, include files, Sim-POV,
HCR-Edit and more: http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/
Last updated 25 Oct. 2003 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______


Post a reply to this message

From: Owen Jacobson
Subject: Re: povray-3.50c Redhat 9 RPMs
Date: 4 Dec 2003 14:47:25
Message: <pan.2003.12.04.19.19.07.691341@lionsanctuary.net>
On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 18:14:41 +0100, Christoph Hormann wrote:

>> (a) Would posting links to the two RPMs be permissible?
> 
> This would not be different from any other unofficial version, you are 
> free to do so but have to make sure it qualifies as a full package 
> (including docs and sample scenes) and clearly indicate the unofficial 
> nature.

The RPM contains everything from the povuni_s.tgz file, including docs and
sample scenes; rebuilding it to explicitly add "unofficial" to the .spec
should take a whole ten minutes. . . done.

>> (b) Is there some way I can submit the files to the povray team so they
>> can distribute them themselves?
> 
> You can be sure the POV-Team recognizes when you post a link but you 
> should note that there will not be support for an unofficial version by 
> the Team.

Obviously.

> I also think most current linux distributions already include POV-Ray 3.5.

I thought so too; the only RPMs I could find on rpmfind for 3.5 were for
SuSE, though, which may or may not work with any other distribution.

The RPMs are available at:
 <http://machinae.lionsanctuary.net/2003/12/povray-3.50c-1.src.rpm>
 <http://machinae.lionsanctuary.net/2003/12/povray-3.50c-1.i386.rpm>


Post a reply to this message

From: Peter Popov
Subject: Re: povray-3.50c Redhat 9 RPMs
Date: 5 Dec 2003 04:48:41
Message: <n1l0tvg9th7fi67m0k8cljmkq35orq7oon@4ax.com>
On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 11:47:25 -0800, Owen Jacobson
<ang### [at] lionsanctuarynet> wrote:

>The RPMs are available at:
> <http://machinae.lionsanctuary.net/2003/12/povray-3.50c-1.src.rpm>
> <http://machinae.lionsanctuary.net/2003/12/povray-3.50c-1.i386.rpm>

Maybe post this in povray.news-submissions, this way it might go in
the news secton on www.povray.org


Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg
TAG      e-mail : pet### [at] tagpovrayorg


Post a reply to this message

From: Owen Jacobson
Subject: Re: povray-3.50c Redhat 9 RPMs
Date: 5 Dec 2003 23:19:29
Message: <pan.2003.12.06.04.19.28.835106@lionsanctuary.net>
On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 11:48:39 +0200, Peter Popov wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 11:47:25 -0800, Owen Jacobson
> <ang### [at] lionsanctuarynet> wrote:
> 
>>The RPMs are available at:
> <old urls snipped>
> 
> Maybe post this in povray.news-submissions, this way it might go in
> the news secton on www.povray.org

The release number has gone up one and the new RPMs are signed with my GPG
key (available off of pgp.mit.edu) in light of the recent rash of
repository breakins.

Redhat 9 RPMs for Povray 3.50c:
 <http://machinae.lionsanctuary.net/2003/12/povray-3.50c-2.src.rpm>
 <http://machinae.lionsanctuary.net/2003/12/povray-3.50c-2.i386.rpm>

If someone could verify whether these work on recent SuSE/Mandrake/other
distributions, I would be much obliged.


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2023 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.