POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : povray-3.50c Redhat 9 RPMs Server Time
23 Apr 2024 15:23:23 EDT (-0400)
  povray-3.50c Redhat 9 RPMs (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Owen Jacobson
Subject: povray-3.50c Redhat 9 RPMs
Date: 4 Dec 2003 06:57:29
Message: <pan.2003.12.04.11.57.29.569776@lionsanctuary.net>
I've created a src.rpm and an i386.rpm for Povray 3.50c that works under
Redhat 9 (with X; if there's some demand I'll make a -nox version too).
However, due to liscensing concerns (concern: it's 4 am, I'm not reading
the bloody liscence right now!) I'm not keen on posting the povray team's
IP publicly.

(a) Would posting links to the two RPMs be permissible?
(b) Is there some way I can submit the files to the povray team so they
can distribute them themselves?

Cheers,
Owen

Post a reply to this message

> I've created a src.rpm and an i386.rpm for Povray 3.50c that works under
> Redhat 9 (with X; if there's some demand I'll make a -nox version too).
> However, due to liscensing concerns (concern: it's 4 am, I'm not reading
> the bloody liscence right now!) I'm not keen on posting the povray team's
> IP publicly.
>
> (a) Would posting links to the two RPMs be permissible?

This would not be different from any other unofficial version, you are
free to do so but have to make sure it qualifies as a full package
(including docs and sample scenes) and clearly indicate the unofficial
nature.

> (b) Is there some way I can submit the files to the povray team so they
> can distribute them themselves?

You can be sure the POV-Team recognizes when you post a link but you
should note that there will not be support for an unofficial version by
the Team.  I also think most current linux distributions already include
POV-Ray 3.5.

Christoph

Last updated 25 Oct. 2003 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 18:14:41 +0100, Christoph Hormann wrote:

>> (a) Would posting links to the two RPMs be permissible?
>
> This would not be different from any other unofficial version, you are
> free to do so but have to make sure it qualifies as a full package
> (including docs and sample scenes) and clearly indicate the unofficial
> nature.

The RPM contains everything from the povuni_s.tgz file, including docs and
sample scenes; rebuilding it to explicitly add "unofficial" to the .spec
should take a whole ten minutes. . . done.

>> (b) Is there some way I can submit the files to the povray team so they
>> can distribute them themselves?
>
> You can be sure the POV-Team recognizes when you post a link but you
> should note that there will not be support for an unofficial version by
> the Team.

Obviously.

> I also think most current linux distributions already include POV-Ray 3.5.

I thought so too; the only RPMs I could find on rpmfind for 3.5 were for
SuSE, though, which may or may not work with any other distribution.

The RPMs are available at:
 <http://machinae.lionsanctuary.net/2003/12/povray-3.50c-1.src.rpm>
 <http://machinae.lionsanctuary.net/2003/12/povray-3.50c-1.i386.rpm>

Post a reply to this message