POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : X Windows display: disabled Server Time
28 Mar 2024 17:12:28 EDT (-0400)
  X Windows display: disabled (Message 1 to 10 of 48)
From: BGimeno
Subject: X Windows display: disabled
Date: 1 Oct 2018 09:29:20
Message: <5bb22130$1@news.povray.org>
I have tried to compile the latest version 3.8.0.9861167 alpha and as in
the official version that I compiled I still have the problem that it
does not show the image while it is generated. While compiling it shows
the following message,

Built-in features:
   I/O restrictions:          enabled
   X Window display:          disabled
   Supported image formats:   gif tga iff ppm pgm hdr png jpeg tiff
   Unsupported image formats: openexr

Compilation settings:
   Build architecture:  x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
   Built/Optimized for: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (using -march=native)
   Compiler vendor:     gnu
   Compiler version:    g++ 7
   Compiler flags:      -pipe -Wno-multichar -Wno-write-strings
-fno-enforce-eh-specs -Wno-non-template-friend -s -O3 -ffast-math
-march=native -pthread
   Libraries:           -ltiff -ljpeg -lpng -lz -lrt -lm -lboost_thread
-pthread  -lboost_system

Note that in the Built-in features the X Windows display is disabled.

I have followed the detailed instructions in
https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/blob/master/unix/README.md
and I think that the dependencies listed do not include the necessary X
server or XCygwin or X11 or XDisplay or whatever it is called.

Can someone tell me what is needed to complete the installation?

Thank you very much
B. Gimeno

Post a reply to this message

> I have tried to compile the latest version 3.8.0.9861167 alpha and as in
> the official version that I compiled I still have the problem that it
> does not show the image while it is generated. While compiling it shows
> the following message,
>
> Built-in features:
>    I/O restrictions:          enabled
>    X Window display:          disabled
>    Supported image formats:   gif tga iff ppm pgm hdr png jpeg tiff
>    Unsupported image formats: openexr
>
> Note that in the Built-in features the X Windows display is disabled.

on my machine it reads "X Window display:  enabled (using SDL)",
so it looks like that library (libSDL*.so) is not found/used when building.
hth.

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

El 01/10/18 a las 17:04, clipka escribió:
> Am 01.10.2018 um 16:38 schrieb jr:
>
>>> Note that in the Built-in features the X Windows display is disabled.
>>
>> on my machine it reads "X Window display:  enabled (using SDL)",
>> so it looks like that library (libSDL*.so) is not found/used when building.
>> hth.
>
>  From what I see in the Unix build scripts, it seems that POV-Ray can't
> (or doesn't want to) use SDL without X.

So
"sudo apt-get install libsdl2-dev"
in my case solved this question.
If this resolved the issue in my case maybe it should be included in the
list of dependencies.
Thank you very much
Regards

B. Gimeno

Post a reply to this message

>>> on my machine it reads "X Window display:  enabled (using SDL)",
>>> so it looks like that library (libSDL*.so) is not found/used when
>>> building.
>>> hth.
>>
>>  From what I see in the Unix build scripts, it seems that POV-Ray can't
>> (or doesn't want to) use SDL without X.
>>

> So
> "sudo apt-get install libsdl2-dev"
> in my case solved this question.
> If this resolved the issue in my case maybe it should be included in the
> list of dependencies.

Did you have `libsdl-dev` installed before?

Because that one is explicitly mentioned in `unix/README.md` as /the/
extra prerequisite to enable the render preview display.

To the best of my knowledge, if `libsdl-dev` is installed, you shouldn't
need `libsdl2-dev`, because that's just a newer generation of the library.

Post a reply to this message