POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : X Windows display: disabled : Re: X Windows display: disabled Server Time
20 Apr 2024 03:55:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: X Windows display: disabled
From: jr
Date: 1 Oct 2018 12:40:00
Message: <web.5bb24d016c2a6a24b0d4fc1e0@news.povray.org>
hi,

> Am 01.10.2018 um 16:38 schrieb jr:
> >> Note that in the Built-in features the X Windows display is disabled.
> > on my machine it reads "X Window display:  enabled (using SDL)",
> > so it looks like that library (libSDL*.so) is not found/used when building.
> From what I see in the Unix build scripts, it seems that POV-Ray can't
> (or doesn't want to) use SDL without X.

one way of looking at it.  :-)

I think POV-Ray does not "do" X at all, the last version (I have access to)
which does is 3.6.1.  from 3.7.x it uses the SDL instead.  a real pity because
if POV-Ray output to an actual X window, knocking up front-ends a la 'qtpovray'
would be  doable in a(ny) number of (scripting) languages, with a single
supporting command line switch (cf 'xterm -into $id').

(also, why SDL in the first place?  all the joystick and audio etc facilities,
unused.  yet, no preview without)

BGimeno:
> "sudo apt-get install libsdl2-dev"
> in my case solved this question.

not all Linux distributions go to lengths to disenfranchise their users.  ;-)

regards, jr.