POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Where do you think povray went? Server Time
26 Jun 2024 02:35:42 EDT (-0400)
  Where do you think povray went? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Where do you think povray went?
Date: 14 Apr 2005 22:41:13
Message: <425f29c9$1@news.povray.org>
Hello, one of the cool things about Linux is goofing around with different
distros.  For example, on one box, I've done ubuntu 5.04,   Knoppix 3.6 and
3.8.1, and Damn Small 1.0.   The problem is where did povray go?  I'm
guessing I installed it under Knoppix 3.8 but now I'm trying to find it
under DS1.0.  I remember the icon being on the screen at that time but don't
see it now.

What directories from the top would it likely have gone to?

Post a reply to this message

> Hello, one of the cool things about Linux is goofing around with different
> distros.  For example, on one box, I've done ubuntu 5.04,   Knoppix 3.6 and
> 3.8.1, and Damn Small 1.0.   The problem is where did povray go?  I'm
> guessing I installed it under Knoppix 3.8 but now I'm trying to find it
> under DS1.0.  I remember the icon being on the screen at that time but don't
> see it now.
>
> What directories from the top would it likely have gone to?

If you started knoppix from CD/DVD everything you install gets lost once
you reboot.

In any case POV-Ray by default (as root) installs to /usr/local (meaning
that the program will go to /usr/local/bin/povray and the include files
and sample scenes to usr/local/share/povray-3.6/.  If you do a user
install you have to specify the install location (which will be
somewhere in your $HOME.

-- Christoph

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:44:51 +0200, Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>
wrote:
> "Greg M. Johnson" schrieb:
> > Hello, one of the cool things about Linux is goofing around with different
> > distros.  For example, on one box, I've done ubuntu 5.04,   Knoppix 3.6 and
> > 3.8.1, and Damn Small 1.0.   The problem is where did povray go?  I'm
> > guessing I installed it under Knoppix 3.8 but now I'm trying to find it
> > under DS1.0.  I remember the icon being on the screen at that time but don't
> > see it now.
>
> If you started knoppix from CD/DVD everything you install gets lost once
> you reboot.

If I remember recent posting in povray.off-topic Knoppix 3.8 is able to
install, see http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/6654 (although my knowledge
about it is close to 0).

ABX

Post a reply to this message

> If you started knoppix from CD/DVD everything you install gets lost once
> you reboot.

Get out!   *There's* puppy-eating for you.  ;-0

Greg M. Johnson