POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : pov 4 sun Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:27:32 EDT (-0400)
  pov 4 sun (Message 9 to 18 of 18)
From: Mark Gordon
Subject: Re: pov 4 sun
Date: 12 Apr 2001 01:13:16
Message: <3AD53EB4.3C9204E6@mailbag.com>
Dennis Clarke wrote:

> Mark Gordon wrote:
> >
> > Ron Parker wrote:

> > > Something about none of us having a Sun machine to test them on.  Anybody
> > > has an old SparcStation they were just gonna throw out, let me know.
> >
> > I'm flirting with the notion of picking up a SunBlade at the current
> > price, but it may be a few months (maybe after SIGGRAPH).
> >
> > -Mark Gordon
>
> Don't do it Mark!  Those things are flowing through to people that simply
> don't know any better.  The SunBlade 100 is simply Sun's way of recoving their
> initial R&D expenses on the SunFire processor.  The SunBlade 100 does not have
> an UltraSparc III processor.  It has an UltraSparc IIe processor with little
> or no effective cache.  No one in the Sun world would consider a processor
> with 256k of cache when the currently shipping UltraSparc II processors have
> 4Mb and 8Mb of cache.  That little box is cheap for a reason.  Wait a little
> while.  In a rapidly falling market you will see the older systems [ Sun Ultra
> 2 for example ] dropping in price.  There is a system on eBay right now with
> dual 300MHz processors and 256Mb RAM for next to nothing [ $1500.00 ] with a
> Creator Card for graphics.  Don't spend your hard earned money on that
> SunBlade 100 junk.  Get an old Ultra 2 or Ultra 60 with real processors for
> about the same price and get great performance.
>
> Dennis

To be honest, I don't need processing power; I need something I can use
to build binaries.  Cache is nice, but if the binaries build a bit
slower, it doesn't matter that much to me.  Don't worry; I won't shame
Sun with my benchmarks. ;-)

Still, it's probably going to be a few months before it happens, so I'll
see what's on the market in a few months.

-Mark Gordon

-Mark Gordon

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 01:35:48 -0400, Mark Gordon wrote:
>To be honest, I don't need processing power; I need something I can use
>to build binaries.  Cache is nice, but if the binaries build a bit
>slower, it doesn't matter that much to me.  Don't worry; I won't shame
>Sun with my benchmarks. ;-)

You can build binaries on Linux.  You only need the Sun for making sure
they work.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.

Post a reply to this message

> On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 01:35:48 -0400, Mark Gordon wrote:
> >To be honest, I don't need processing power; I need something I can use
> >to build binaries.  Cache is nice, but if the binaries build a bit
> >slower, it doesn't matter that much to me.  Don't worry; I won't shame
> >Sun with my benchmarks. ;-)
>
> You can build binaries on Linux.  You only need the Sun for making sure
> they work.
>
> --
> Ron Parker   http://www2.fwi.com/~parkerr/traces.html
> My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.

Good point.  I'd considered cross-compiling, but it was rather pointless
without a way to test.  I suppose a beefier machine would make the
testing go faster.  Even though it takes a while to compile POV-Ray, it
takes a lot longer to test it thoroughly...

-Mark Gordon

Post a reply to this message