POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : my animations are too big for the web. What to do ... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:26:39 EDT (-0400)
  my animations are too big for the web. What to do ... (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Dennis Clarke
Subject: my animations are too big for the web. What to do ...
Date: 5 Aug 1999 22:13:05
Message: <37AA44B3.31469A0B@interlog.com>
I am having a lot of fun creating animations by taking advantage of the
internal clock feature.  The problem is that the images are all 24 bit TGA files
at 320x240 and when I put 64 frames together I end up with a 14Mb QuickTime mov
file.  Is there a simple utility that will convert a tga file to a 8bit gif or
do I need to RTFM for cjpeg or libpng and write my own?

Dennis Clarke

ps: Yes I know that I am being lazy but if someone else has jumped through the
hoops to get a mov to mpg convertor or something like that then why re-invent
the wheel?

Post a reply to this message

I may have to break down and code a utility to convert 24bit png format to 8bit
bmp format ...

Is this really necessary just to shrink a mov file down to size ?

Dennis

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'us-ascii' (1 KB)

>         I am having a lot of fun creating animations by taking advantage of the
> internal clock feature.  The problem is that the images are all 24 bit TGA files
> at 320x240 and when I put 64 frames together I end up with a 14Mb QuickTime mov
> file.  Is there a simple utility that will convert a tga file to a 8bit gif or
> do I need to RTFM for cjpeg or libpng and write my own?
>
> Dennis Clarke
>
> ps: Yes I know that I am being lazy but if someone else has jumped through the
> hoops to get a mov to mpg convertor or something like that then why re-invent
> the wheel?

Well, if you have a Quicktime movie, just try using Cinepak or one of the other
codecs.
Or create an MPEG. Look to http://www.mpeg.org/ for software.

BTW, it is very helpful if you mention what platform you are on.

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.

Post a reply to this message

>  I am having a lot of fun creating animations by taking advantage of the
> internal clock feature.  The problem is that the images are all 24 bit TGA
files
> at 320x240 and when I put 64 frames together I end up with a 14Mb QuickTime
mov
> file.  Is there a simple utility that will convert a tga file to a 8bit gif or
> do I need to RTFM for cjpeg or libpng and write my own?

All you need to do is to select a different compression algorithm in the
QuickTime settings. You can do that easily with the Movie Player that comes
with QuickTime. Try fro example Sorensen compressor or the Motion JPEG ones
with reasonable compression settings.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg