POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Help needed to compile under Digital Unix 4.0e Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:11:56 EDT (-0400)
  Help needed to compile under Digital Unix 4.0e (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: nobody
Subject: Help needed to compile under Digital Unix 4.0e
Date: 1 Jun 1999 18:07:17
Message: <37544b85.0@news.povray.org>
Folks:

I'm having trouble compiling Povray (latest version of sources).  I have a
brand new DS20 box running Digital Unix 4.0e and I'd love to benchmark it.  I
have only a limited amount of experience compiling things and such under unix,
so please be patient.  I compiled zlib and libpng just fine, but when I
compile povray with "make newunix" I get this message:

> make newunix
cc -O6 -finline-functions -ffast-math -c -ansi -DCOMPILER_VER=\".`uname`...
cc -O6 -finline-functions -ffast-math -c -ansi -DCOMPILER_VER=\".`uname`...
Make: Don't know how to make bezierDEP.  Stop.
*** Exit 1 (ignored)

Any ideas why this might be happening?

Thanks!

David H.

Post a reply to this message

From: Mark Gordon
Subject: Re: Help needed to compile under Digital Unix 4.0e
Date: 1 Jun 1999 21:16:09
Message: <375477D9.7862C2ED@mailbag.com>
nobody@nowhere wrote:

> Folks:
>
> I'm having trouble compiling Povray (latest version of sources).  I have a
> brand new DS20 box running Digital Unix 4.0e and I'd love to benchmark it.  I
> have only a limited amount of experience compiling things and such under unix,
> so please be patient.  I compiled zlib and libpng just fine, but when I
> compile povray with "make newunix" I get this message:
>
> > make newunix
> cc -O6 -finline-functions -ffast-math -c -ansi -DCOMPILER_VER=\".`uname`...
> cc -O6 -finline-functions -ffast-math -c -ansi -DCOMPILER_VER=\".`uname`...
> Make: Don't know how to make bezierDEP.  Stop.
> *** Exit 1 (ignored)
>
> Any ideas why this might be happening?
>
> Thanks!
>
> David H.

There are a few problems that have been found in the 3.1e makefile.  GNU
make and GCC ignored them, so they went unnoticed until people tried to
compile it on proprietary Unices.

1) presence of extraneous blank spaces at the end of the line defining
the X11 path on some Unices (Solaris and AIX, IIRC, so those wouldn't be
messing you up).
2) extraneous continuation marker at the end of the bcylDEP section of
the makefile.  Looks like that's the cause of your problem (bezierDEP
comes right after bcylDEP, which is improperly terminated).
3) indented #define statements in polysolv.c, which seem to generate at
least compiler warnings.

Once those are fixed, it should compile under Digital Unix

These problems will be fixed in the next version.

P.S. If you had included your real email address, I could have sent you
this message, and you probably could have gotten it sooner.  Your loss.
;-)

--
Mark Gordon
mtg### [at] povrayorg

Post a reply to this message

From: David H
Date: 2 Jun 1999 17:12:29
Message: <3755902d.0@news.povray.org>
MTGordon:

Thanks for the help!  2 and 3 did the trick. Just FYI, here's my results

        Compaq (DEC) Alpha DS-20
        Single CPU: 500mhz
        Ram: 1G

        Skyvase benchmark: 33.0 seconds!