POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Tabulated() macro, making tables easy Server Time
28 Mar 2024 05:34:26 EDT (-0400)
  Tabulated() macro, making tables easy (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: jr
Subject: Tabulated() macro, making tables easy
Date: 30 Jul 2021 09:45:00
Message: <web.610402268669d715e0fed26cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

please find attached the new 'Tabulated()' macro, designed to add tables to
scene files, displaying related information.

the archive includes an include file, a "manual"/documentation HTML page, and
several demo/example scenes.  to install, unzip the archive (will create
directory 'tabu'), then link or copy the .inc file to a POV-Ray "library_path"
directory.

two people have volunteered to be guinea pigs, you know who you are, thanks; any
remaining errors/bugs are mine.  feedback, criticisms, tips -- all equally
welcome (more or less ;-))

enjoy, jr.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'tabu.zip' (1075 KB)

> please find attached the new 'Tabulated()' macro, designed to add tables to
> scene files, displaying related information.

the second release/version of 'Tabulated()' adds an option for highlighting a
cell, or a range of.  (fingers crossed) the code now has fewer bugs, and the
introductory comments have been completed.  as always, comments, tips, and
critique welcome.

enjoy, jr.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'tabu.zip' (1077 KB)

>> please find attached the new 'Tabulated()' macro, designed to add tables to
>> scene files, displaying related information.
>
> the second release/version of 'Tabulated()' adds an option for highlighting a
> cell, or a range of.  (fingers crossed) the code now has fewer bugs, and the
> introductory comments have been completed.  as always, comments, tips, and
> critique welcome.
>

> enjoy, jr.

To avoid confusion, it might be important to add version/release numbers
to the zips.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> To avoid confusion, it might be important to add version/release numbers
> to the zips.

agree, thanks.

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

>> please find attached the new 'Tabulated()' macro, designed to add tables to
>> scene files, displaying related information.
>
> the second release/version of 'Tabulated()' adds an option for highlighting a
> cell, or a range of.  (fingers crossed) the code now has fewer bugs, and the
> introductory comments have been completed.  as always, comments, tips, and
> critique welcome.

A few minor comments after my first use - version 202106.2.

1)----------
You can get rid of the high ambient warning by changing:

#declare tabu__data_finishes_ = array [2] {
   finish {ambient .1 diffuse .8 specular .1},
   finish {ambient 0 emission .85}
};

#declare tabu__data_finishes_ = array [2] {
   finish {ambient .1 emission 0 diffuse .8 specular .1},
   finish {ambient 0 emission .85}
};

2)----------
Documentation. (Great by the way)

Where you have references to your google drive for your Foreach() and
Ruled() variation at the bottom of the documentation, it would be handy
to have a reference/link to the most current Tabulated() too.

A nit, but, indicating the Tabulated() version to which the
documentation pertains in the html would be helpful.

3)----------

Not unexpectedly ;-) ..., the macro uses all lower case identifiers, but
well prefixed ones. For the povr branch, this does force a configuration
and compile without the identifier case checking to make use of it.

Great work jr & Tabulated() development helpers!

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

(that statistical summary table does look properly "intimidating :-))

> A few minor comments after my first use - version 202106.2.
>
> 1)----------
> You can get rid of the high ambient warning by changing:
>
> #declare tabu__data_finishes_ = array [2] {
>    finish {ambient .1 diffuse .8 specular .1},
>    finish {ambient 0 emission .85}
> };

> #declare tabu__data_finishes_ = array [2] {
>    finish {ambient .1 emission 0 diffuse .8 specular .1},
>    finish {ambient 0 emission .85}
> };

thanks, will do.

> 2)----------
> Documentation. (Great by the way)

(thank you.  always the most difficult part of a project, I think)

> Where you have references to your google drive for your Foreach() and
> Ruled() variation at the bottom of the documentation, it would be handy
> to have a reference/link to the most current Tabulated() too.
>
> A nit, but, indicating the Tabulated() version to which the
> documentation pertains in the html would be helpful.

yes, thanks, will make note of the version in text.  will consider the reference
link point; am thinking a wiki page with latest version of each include I've
done?

> 3)----------
>
> Not unexpectedly ;-) ..., the macro uses all lower case identifiers, but
> well prefixed ones. For the povr branch, this does force a configuration
> and compile without the identifier case checking to make use of it.

heh, mine was already compiled to allow lowercase.  :-)

> Great work jr & Tabulated() development helpers!

both BE + TdeG deserve those cheers.

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

> link point; am thinking a wiki page with latest version of each include I've
> done?
That would work. Aim, of course, is knowing quickly whether one has the
latest package/zip in hand, and if not, where to grab it.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Date: 30 Sep 2021 06:30:00
Message: <web.61559145eb2219a25bd1b3ba6cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

> On 9/18/21 5:15 AM, jr wrote:
> > will consider the reference
> > link point; am thinking a wiki page with latest version of each include I've
> > done?
> That would work. Aim, of course, is knowing quickly whether one has the
> latest package/zip in hand, and if not, where to grab it.

would appears to be the operative word.  wrote to Mr Cason re wiki a little over
a week ago, no reply.  seems countering git-hubris with fact may have been ..
counter-productive.  :-)  (anyone seen clipka??)

> Suppose the answer to that second question, depends some on the answer
> to the first. My best guess is '-into' won't be in the next one, if
> another tarball gets publish relatively soon.

personally I'd be happy to play with an unpublished version (hint, hint).

regards, jr.